Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Best place for Paint?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by K5blazer, Apr 15, 2001.

1. K5blazer

K5blazer Registered Member

k5 needs a new paint job. I want a nice one that wont flake after a couple of months. Heard macco sucked and was wondering were some of yall got good professional paint jobs and how much they cost. Thanks

2. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

my bro can paint your rig just don't drive over 55....

3. Wheels

Wheels 1/2 ton status

Wheeler's Blazer shop, out the back door just before you get to the barn. Cost???? Way too much. Find a quality body shop that uses a high quality paint (BASF or DuPont). The more prep work you do the cheaper it is. I went down to bare metal, had to because I had a lot of rust to cut out and replace. Choice of color makes a big difference. Some colors cover better than others and some hide imperfections better. I chose dark emerald metallic (the wife chose it actually) and green is a hard color to paint. Took several coats, some sanding and then the final coats (7 coats in all). White would have covered in about three coats. Ther's an outfit here in OKC called Peach, about like Maaco, but worse. The paint I used was $117 a gallon (took 2 gallons), $57 per pint for the hardener (2 again), mid temp thinner was $18 per gallon (3 gallons). I could have purchased Nason (really cheap paint that Maaco and Peach uses) for about $45 a gallon. But then I would be repainting again in about 2 to 3 years. With materials, primer and all, cost to do it myself was right at $550. Cost to have someone else do it would have been closer to $2000.

4. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

damn i just sent an i/m to capt crunch about this!!!!!im in the business and he asked me.maybe c/c can post the i/m on here.can that be done????BTW it was loooooong!!

PURE INSANITY
    86 blazer see it at:<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.zing.com/album/pictures.html?id=4292792569>http://www.zing.com/album/pictures.html?id=4292792569</A>

5. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

I don't know if its a national chain, but Herb's paint and body is pretty good - I know there are several in the DFW area

90K5

See my truck at <A target="_blank" HREF=http://albums.photopoint.com/j/Albumindex?u=1329584&a=9886502>http://albums.photopoint.com/j/Albumindex?u=1329584&a=9886502</A>

6. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

Where are you at?

C'moe

<font color=black>the blazer is "Back in Black"

7. LAZYMON

LAZYMON 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I got my TransAm painted at a place in San Diego called OneDay Paint. I think they are just in the west. I got the five year job, well it's been six years now and it still looks good. Just polish it with Zaino once in awhile. I don't drive it in the snow or rain though.

PRAY FOR SNOW! Just a little more please!

8. zach78k5

zach78k5 1/2 ton status

i am in san jose and i am wondering the same think about the paint shops