Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Best place in San Diego to get work done on trucks?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by AJMBLAZER, Oct 1, 2000.

1. AJMBLAZER

AJMBLAZER Better to be lucky than good. Premium Member

Hey guys. I'm in San Diego, CA, as some of you know. My question is for those of you in my area. My buddy has a 92 Toy pickup truck that he is going to be lifting soon, along with a bunch of other stuff. Neither of us is mechanically competent enough to install an IFS lift, so this needs to get done by a professional. I am also interested so I know who to go to when I get some of the bigger parts of my truck worked on. I had 4Wheel Parts in El Cajon do my lift, and I am never going back there unless I am buying parts and I know the exact part number. I am not certain they put ANY grease in the ball joints, steering ends, or tie rods at all! That, and "make it sit level" means 1.5 inches higher in the front to them. Idiots. [​IMG] Anyways, where would you guys recommend for good, quality work? Any help would be appreciated.

1992 Blazer Sport, 350 TBI, 4L60, 3" Gibson, K&N, 3" Rancho, 285/75R16 on 16x8 Baja's [​IMG]

2. Russ

Russ 1/2 ton status

All Pro OffRoad up in Hemet specializes in Toyota's. They are only about an hour and 1/2 drive from here. M.I.T. in El Cajon is probably one of the better places in town as far as competent off-road shops go. They specialize more in the small guys too, jeeps mainly. For your fullsize, I like ORW more than 4WPW myself, but I think they are a little more expensive. You also have Drive Train Direct off of Johnson and Main in El Cajon, I have had no dealings with them but they seem to do alot of business on the newer IFS trucks. And don't forget, National Spring is right here on Magnolia in El Cajon, I don't know if they deal with IFS or not.
    Russ

3. EDGE

EDGE Registered Member

I'm sorry to hear about your experience with fwph.They really do suck.He's right, try four wheel direct off of main.I'm sure you've seen their stickers on alot of rides around town.Hearing about San Diego makes me wish that I were still there.Especially going to the desert for thanksgiving.

4. 84k5

84k5 1/2 ton status

I have never bought anything from 4wpw in El Cajon, their stupidity always scared me off before I got the chance. My lift was done at ORW in El Cajon, I like the people and service better there, but they are a little more expensive. On a side note, where do you guys wheel? I'm sick of proctor valley. Any new place would be worth checking out. Later.

Brian
    84k5, 4"Skyjacker lift,33x12.5 Goodyear MT/R, 15x10 Bajas

5. AJMBLAZER

I'm hesitant to tell of my little secret, but oh well, you aren't rich if you can't share your wealth. I wheel off of Highway 56 just a little bit past where the highway construction ends going west. Email me, and I can give you directions. Before I went wheeling out in the Cleveland National forest out by Lake Sutherland. Hope this helps.

1992 Blazer Sport, 350 TBI, 4L60, 3" Gibson, K&N, 3" Rancho, 285/75R16 on 16x8 Baja's [​IMG]

6. pr1aw

pr1aw 1/2 ton status

You might give High and Mighty down here in I.B a call. As for 4bying, Ocotillo Wells State ORV, or up behind Morena Lake. Both are a drive for me but fun once you get there.

7. talldogg

talldogg 1/2 ton status

AJM,
    Definitely avoid 4Wheel Parts. I talked to a guy who used to work there and he says that the guys really don't care about customers rigs just they're own, IF they're lucky enough to have one. They're dumb, cocky f@&ks.
    There's also All Terrain in Chula Vista, my buddy just got his Jimmy lifted there and they did a nice job and they were the cheapest too. It's a new shop and the guys are young cool guys, at least worth checking out.

It's not what you buy, it's what you build!

8. AJMBLAZER

Tall, could you get me a number or something for All Terrain? Sounds promising. Don't think I'm blowing you off guys, I'm writing it all down for later. Thanks.

9. talldogg

talldogg 1/2 ton status

AJM, I don't have the number with me, but they run a big ad in the rims/tire section of the Parts Trader. Give them a call and see what you think.[​IMG]

It's not what you buy, it's what you build!

10. AJMBLAZER

Hey Tall, I've talked to the guys at All Terrain. Martin (or however you say it, it's said "MAR-TEEN" [​IMG]) is a cool guy. Didn't try to sell me a bigger IFS lift after I explained what I wanted. That was point number 1 for him. Seems he's got a mechanic who has done a few of these. Says to give them a call in a few weeks when he is back from vacation, then I could come in and we could take some measurements. Cool.....[​IMG]......