Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Best place to buy a new tailpan

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bryguy00b, May 11, 2002.

1. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

hey guys..i need a new tailpa nfor my truck so i can bolt my new tailgate up and also so i have some damn support for the whole rear end!! lol..cant drive it until i get that...the rear floor needs replacin to..but the important thing is the tailpan first! were is the best place to get a new tailpan..so far the best deal i have come across was one in the LMC catalog for 50 bucks plus shipping..jcwhitney charged 130!!

Bryan-later

2. NoSmog73

NoSmog73 1/2 ton status

Shoot sarazk5 a pm she sells the lmc stuff also....

3. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

allrighty...thanx!

Bryan

4. Trailboss_jr

Trailboss_jr Registered Member

Where did you see one fo $50 in the LMC book, mine says $150 for a complete one. Be careful as they also sell a tailpan facing, just a face panel repair for the rear of the pan. If you don't want to shell out the $$$, take a look at the tailgate hinge repair by Neil Pickett under the tech section - looks stronger than a pan and it's the way I'm going.

5. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

hmm have ot check that price again i guess..but i have NO tailpan left..mine is totally rusted through..all but for the to parts of it left..or chunks i should say lol..on the two rear floor bolts. i have no support in the reat of the truck..its all sitting on the floor..cause it to bow downward. so i dont need a hinge repair i dont have anything to bolt it to! lol...see what im saying..but ill check that price again..damn it i thought i found a deal! lol

Bryan-later

6. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

uuummm well i only see one tailpan in the catalog..rest is liek tailgate stuff and that..in my catalog its number 27 i think...and it says 50 bucks!!...it does not list it as tailpan fasing or anyhting it just says tailpan...so i dunno..check that out..my catalog has a red chevy pickup on it..its not just blazers..it has trucks and blazers in it.

Bryan-later

7. Trailboss_jr

Trailboss_jr Registered Member

Bryan, the part # in the LMC blazer book for 73-91's is 38-7984. The price for it is about the same as other places I have looked ($130-$150). The piece looks like a rectangular channel with a couple of grooves in it where it sits on the frame. The DIY kit in the tech section I mentioned uses channel steel you fab yourself to replace this piece for less $$$ and more strength and rigidity, according to Neil.

8. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

ahh ok ic..well im not that much of a welder or fabber..i dont really know much about how to do that stuff yet..and i dont think my dad is much on that either. so im guessing would probobly just go with the tailpan..it would still be a little hard to replace..but for someone like me it would be a lot easier that fabbing up my own replacment i think! i just need to get one soon so i can put my new tailgate i have for it on there! then at least i will be able to get it on the road and all! lol..then latter comes my new rear floor bourds wich i really need as well..and after i replace those..im going to spray it with herculiner..and put some custom made side panals in the back covered with some carpet..and just throw some cut carpet on the floor..then im going to patch the front bourds with a heaver guage steel...then i should be just about done with the floors and inside and all that. then comes the outside...lol...

Bryan-later