Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Best Place to get "12V only when in reverse"?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by dawson444, Aug 13, 2002.

1. dawson444

dawson444 1/2 ton status

Best Place to get \"12V only when in reverse\"?

I am wiring in my back up lights. Where is a good place to tap into a wire that will be dead when truck is on normalls but live in reverse? Looking for something up towards the fire wall. Colors would be helpful too. Thanks!

2. TopOff

TopOff 1/2 ton status

Re: Best Place to get \"12V only when in reverse\"?

Um.. I think you will need to setup a relay that will be ground switched energized for this.

IIRC the backup lights work when the trans makes a ground when it is in reverse. Hence the backup lights are already gettting 12V positive. The ground just completes the circuit.

Have FUN!

3. arq

arq 1/2 ton status

you could use a relay and tap into your reverse switch on your steering colum. i would recomend some type of relay if you are gonna be running something that draws a lot of amperage, it'll keep you from replacing your reverse switch, it can be a pain. not sure what color it is but you can look toward the back of your steering column(by the firewall), you shouls see some wires going to it(on the column). I think the neutral safty switch and the reverse switch are in that area, not sure on your model year. hope others will add...

ARQ.

4. dawson444

dawson444 1/2 ton status

They are wired in with a relay. Now I just need to find the right wire.

5. fr8train

fr8train 1/2 ton status

Just tap off the reverse light lead. What brand relay are you using? I got some from West Marine that have a weather cap on them. You arent really drawing a too much current to trigger the relay. Just remember to run equal ga. wire from the batt. to relay and relay to lights. I found that if you just remove one of your rear light housings and make the tap there( right where the bulb for the reverse light socket is) it will keep more road grime off and some water.

6. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

on mine it is a bonded pair of lt grn and drk grn that comes throughthe firewall from the manual tranny
    go check a wiring diagram

7. gpd4

gpd4 Registered Member

I did it the easy way. Since the plug from the 700R4 wouldn't fit in the hole on the TH350, I just mounted some tractor lights on the rear bumper and ran a toggle switch up to the dash. If I want lights on the road behind me I just turn them on...Also helps with loading boats and trailers in the dark.

18 short days 'till dove season...