Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Best place to get a good price on a rebuilt/new steering box?????????

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jwduke, Mar 7, 2004.

1. jwduke

jwduke 1/2 ton status

Any ideas on where to get a good price on a new/rebuilt steering box??? Mine has a lot of slop in it. I see West Texas Offroad wants $100 to rebuild a box, but I can't do with out my truck that long.

2. 78k20

78k20 Registered Member

Having just replaced most of the steering stuff myself- (gearbox, pump, remote reservoir, rock rod, brace kit, stabilizer, drag link, dual u-joint shaft) I would have to say that probably your fastest/cheapest route would be your local Napa, or other parts store. They want $192 here, with a $111 core charge. I went with an AGR SB2 box, but the price on this thing was around $350 with no core! As you mentioned you can't be without your truck that long, your local parts store most likely stocks these things, so you could be in and out, back on the road in an afternoon.

With those bigger meats you're running, I'd also suggest looking very closely at your frame behind the box for cracks and order a steering box brace kit from ORD-a great product to help tie the front together, make it much stronger, and more resistant to cracking as well, not to mention the extra piece of mind.

Hope that helps, Best of Luck,

Mike

3. jwduke

jwduke 1/2 ton status

Thanks Mike, it does!

4. scoutillac

scoutillac 1/2 ton status

If your mechanically inclined at all you can do it yourself for 25 bucks. Get a rebuild kit. I watched my buddy do it in a couple of hours for his first time.