Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Best place to get a new windsheild?

Discussion in 'Pacific Region' started by shane74, Feb 16, 2004.

1. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

Anyone know the best place to go? Mine's trashed and I got pulled over because of it yesterday. I need to get it fixed ASAP.

2. Tweetysuarus

Tweetysuarus 1/2 ton status

Do you have full coverage Ins. ? If so claim it on you Ins. Thats what I did to get a new one, But they are usually only about $150.00 new. Look around.
    Bill

3. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

What's that commercial that is on all the time...........EMPIRE Glass. Or go through insurance.

4. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

Since it's a '74, I do not have full coverage on it. The cheapest I have been able to find is $200 (including new gasket, locking strip, and tax) with a new gasket and locking strip. I have called about 10 different places and gotten prices up to $300. Sheesh, who knew they'd be this expensive. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

5. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

Well, I have a very nice one I picked up from another CK5 member that I would sell you and help install for $100 /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Topdown wants some springs from me and another guy in Portland wanted some axle shafts so I could make a trip down to Vancouver this weekend to get all of that done.

6. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

Lemm talk to the wife and see how much $$ we'll have. That sounds like the best deal so far! /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif I'll let you know within the next day or so! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

7. kennyw

As long as we are careful we can reuse the old gasket with the help of a little sealant from a tube /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

No can do on the old gasket. I'll have to get a new one. It was leaking at the bottom corners so I went with the ol' clear silicone adhesive/sealant to patch it up. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

9. kennyw

Ok, still should be able to save some money this way though /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif This windshield looked like it was a fresh replacement when it was pulled from a wrecked truck. Even has tint across the top.

10. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif

11. leadfoot067

leadfoot067 1/2 ton status

ok a few things....i install auto glass for a living,been doin it for 12 years....the gasket on your blazer is not bad,clean the crap off that u put on it and it will be fine,the gasket around your windshield is not the seal contrary to popular belief...the gasket requires a form of sealant between it and the body and between it and the glass otherwise it will leak.......i prefer to use a 3m product called bedding and glazing compound,its grey in color and stays semi soft for years....once u install the glass before u install the lock strip, pump this stuff between the gasket and body and tween the gasket and glass,,,making sure you get just enough in there to squish out a little after the lock strip goes back in...then clean the mess....on the body side its only necessary to go across the top and down the sides,,on the glass side go all the way around...hope this helps.... /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

12. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

Wow! Tons of great info! Thanks! /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif I'm not sure if I want to tackle installing one or not yet. I'm not real sure what I'm going to do yet. I printed out your reply for future reference. Thanks again! /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

13. leadfoot067

leadfoot067 1/2 ton status

no prob....just dont wanna see ya spend money on a gasket when u prolly dont need it... /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

14. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

Heck, if you were down this way, I'd offer to pay you to put it in! Seems like every time I try something that involves gaskets or seals of any kind..I [darn] it up royally! /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

15. kennyw

I'm going to have to change my plans slightly. I need to leave for MN on Friday night and will be gone thru the following weekend. I know you were looking for something quick due to the fix it ticket so not sure if you would be able to meet me in Biggs Jct or something like that tonight?

16. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

Sorry, tonight is a no go for me. Maybe next time you are though town? /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

17. kennyw

If its not too long for you the weekend of March 6th I would be able to get back over to Portland/Vancouver. I need to pull a truck cab in Central Oregon and meet up with someone from Seattle, so that might be a good middle ground for that.