Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

best place to get a power steering pump?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 78Suburban, Jan 4, 2006.

1. 78Suburban

78Suburban 1/2 ton status

Here's the deal. I bought a motor with a power steering pump on it. I decided to use this pump, as my old one leaked. I swapped all the bracketry and the double pulley onto this pump. I go to hook it into my steering box today, and it turns out that this pump has o-ring fittings, and my box has flared fittings.
    So, I need to find a good powersteering pump with flared fittings. It needs to have a resevoir, and the two lines. A double pulley would be nice, but I can live without it. I can also live without the bracketry on the back of the pump, because I have all that.
    So: where should I get the pump? Do any auto parts stores have really good deals on refurbished units? Should I just run down to the junkyard and try to find one? I can't finish my motor swap till I get my hands on one of these bad boys, but I think it should be a pretty common part.
    thanks,
    James

2. hunterguy86

hunterguy86 1/2 ton status

I just picked up a pump for 35 dollars after core charge at O'Rielly Auto Parts. Came with the Resevoir on it, just need to swap your pully and brackets to it. They should have the type you need.

3. trailblazr81

trailblazr81 1/2 ton status

You can usually get them at places like Autozone with or without a reservoir. You usually re-use your own pulley. Could try junkyard for one in decent shape to save some $$$. Does both lines screw into the pump or is one just a rubber line clamped onto metal tube?

4. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

im dealing with the same thing with my 2wd steering box for x-over. im going to go get custom lines made, wont be too expensive. for the return line i bought a part at advance auto parts for $3.50 and it took care of the return line, since its only rubber with clamps to hard line. hope that helps

5. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

Please just swap the fittings at the back of the pump muddy. It's always better to not have a bunch of custom parts, makes emergency repairs a lot easier. It's easy to do, I know dyeager described it in this thread. http://coloradok5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=158724&highlight=power+steering+pump+fitting+swap

If that didn't make sense to you, it's the "main fitting"(number 1) in this pic. It unscrews easily from the back of the pump, and screws right into the other one.

[​IMG]

6. muddybuddy

how do i get them out? its awkward and i cand figure out how to get a wrench to it. any ideas?

any i only need to replace #1?

7. 78Suburban

I would probably remove the pump to do this. My pump is off, and I'm gonna have to do it. I'm a little worried I'll mess something up or won't get everything swapped just right.. I'll let ya know how it goes.. I'm tempted to go outside and get light and do it now, but I don't wanna battle the cold.. I'll do the swap tomorrow morning.
    thanks,
    James

8. muddybuddy

crap. anyway around taking the pump out? i guess its probably the best way, that way it doesnt get stripped, then it would really suck. looks like its a b**** to get it out, with all the belts and brackets there. ive replaced the belts before, but dont feel like taking everything out haha DOH

9. 78Suburban

well, I'm swapping my motor, so everything is out anyway. What year is your truck? Mine is a 78 with air conditioning, and it only has 3, 9/16 bolts that hold it on..
    James

10. muddybuddy

88, its got the belts and all that i gatta take off first before i can get to it...i think. ill have to look closer tomorrow. anybody got the part number for that piece that is flare style?

11. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

Ah, you don't have a donor pump? That sucks. I used to have a couple bad ones sitting around, but they got tossed.:crazy: Maybe some kind soul on here has some junk sitting around that they can pull one out of and give to you. I would've if I hadn't thrown it all away.:doah:

12. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

And as far as getting to it, the WTO article mentions doing it while still in the vehicle. The pic and article are about getting more flow out of your pump, but it's the same piece you're removing. What the heck, why not just do the mod at the same time?

13. muddybuddy

link to the wto mods? may have to do it since im doin this :-)

14. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

15. boxxerace

boxxerace Registered Member

I had a similar problem with metric and standard fittings / hoses. Without going into the details and runaround that I did here is what I ended up with that works:

- Existing Metric (o-ring fittings with a "top hat" looking fitting) pump. (89 engine)
    - 2WD box with flared fittings (for crossover)
    - Old leaky metric power hose (now gone)
    - flared power hose

Flared hose I replaced the fitting on the pump side and reflared with a 25$ tool (although it was barely up to the task). The fitting would fit, but was not deep enough to press the incorrect flare into the seal of the metric pump. On the box side, once everything was nice and clean it sealed up like it was suppose to.

Interestingly enough, I got the flared hose to seal perfectly on the pump without any fiddling. Not sure why it works, but no body piercing hydro fluid comes out and I have had it this way for a couple months.

What you Should do, instead of my fiddling, is either replace the fitting on the pump with the proper fitting (and it's an easy fix if you have the part) and then you will have a working setup.

Or

Purchase an O-ring fitting power hose (the proper one of course) and then cut the metal hose fitting off at the "top hat end" where the pump fitting is and then replace your threaded piece with the one of your old power hose and then doubletaper your metal end and walla! you got yourself a metric / standard hose fitting that should work perfect.

Now, before you go cutting things off like I did, check and make sure your hose flare tool will fit with the minimal amount of space that the curved hose fitting allows. It's a tad tricky in the doing, but the end result is simple.

Good luck!

16. K30CJ

K30CJ 1/2 ton status

You can change those parts out while leaving the pump on the engine. I have done it on mine anyway. When I swapped in a newer TBI engine, I had to swap to the older flare fitting. The parts swap easily. The worst part is access to the fitting. I took a cheap, off-brand 1" wrench and ground away some steel until it would fit to get the nut loose. Had to turn it a little at a time, flipping the wrench over each time to take advantage of the angled head.

While you're at it, drill the ID of the big nut out to 1/4". You'll notice better flow (easier steering) at idle. I've done this to several trucks with no side effects.

As far as replacement pumps, I have used NAPA for these. They come as a bare pump and you put your old reservoir and pulley on it.