Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

best place to get a TBI wiring harness

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Jeromy Gibson, Aug 24, 2004.

1. Jeromy Gibson

Jeromy Gibson 1/2 ton status

pretty much what the subject says, figure I will just start over to get this thing to work, but I am on a very limited buget so I need the best deal out there

2. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

get a painless harness.. everything is new and marked

otherwise find a truck with a TBI motor pull the harness for yourself and part out the truck to make your money back.

3. Jeromy Gibson

where would be the best place to get one, all the painless wiring harness I have seen have been faily pricy, found one from Turbo city for 280, anyone found a better deal?

4. justinf

justinf 1/2 ton status

What year Harness do you need, I have an extra one laying around out of I believe 93-95. I don't know exact year, but I know it wouldn't work for my 87 TBI. email me if you are interested.
    justinf@clark-dietz.com

5. Jeromy Gibson

The motor is out of 91 1500, I don't know what the harness we were using came out of but I would like to keep it simple the harness we have has alot of extra stuff on it and kinda caught fire when we tried to start it the first time, no visible damage but we can no longer get injector pulse and we have already changed computers, so the next step is the harness

6. justinf

justinf 1/2 ton status

Sorry, not sure if it will work or not, A couple of the connectors were different than my 87 harness, plus I think it was missing one connector that my 87 had. One of the main differences from my 87 harness, is this one has a large power terminal block that mounts to the passenger side firewall. Send me an email to the above address if it sounds similar to yours, I can possibly get pictures of it soon. It is complete and I'd make you a deal on it.

I had a similar problem with the 87 TBI 350 in my jeep. I wired the thing up, and had it running. The only problem was I hadn't mounted the relay for the fuel pump yet since I was going to eliminate it. Well, it fell off where I had tucked it in, and landed on the manifold, melted it, and shorted out. Luckily it only burned up the one wire, had to redo a couple of inputs to the computer (that came off the relay) and it worked great.

7. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

Have you tried Howell?

8. Jeromy Gibson

could not find find any prices for howell, Affordable fuel injection has theres for 225 so I will get that one I think.

9. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    could not find find any prices for howell, Affordable fuel injection has theres for 225 so I will get that one I think.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Call them(Howell). I see them recomended alot over on POR with the Toy guys...

10. mosesburb

mosesburb For Rent Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I get this question quite a bit at work, and the only one I recommend without hesitation is Howell. Whatever the difference in price is, it is worth every penny. I had a friend/customer go with a Painless instead of a Howell and he regretted it heavily when he had to have the shop do some re-working to get everything to work right. I am not, however, saying that their product is crap, but compared to the Howell harness I installed in one of my rides about 12yrs ago, their TBI harness leaves alot to be desired. Bill Howell was a GM engineer for many years and when he retired he began Howell Engine Developments. They use all o.e. quality components: all Packard TXL/GXL wire, terminals secured with o.e. tooling, Weather Pack connectors and looms it with the o.e. quality high temp grey stripe loom. Installation is simple as you only have to tap, I believe, two wires of your existing harness. I know people have had good luck with Painless, but after 12yrs in the Phoenix heat, and all of the abuse I could throw at it, my harness still looks/functions like new. Just my $.02, but if I was in the market, they would get my money again.

11. Jeromy Gibson

The Howell looks good but right now I think I have to go with the Affordable Fuel Injection because I will already be in the hole, good thing for overdraft. Anybody have any luck with them or heard anything bad? Thanks for the responses thou.