Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Best place to get ALDL cable for laptop

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by MudFrog, Sep 16, 2005.

1. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

Anyone know of a good cheap source? I found one I really like on ebay but it's $45 after shipping :eek1:

There is one guy on ebay selling one for $2 but he said he's not responsible for any damages so I don't think I'll trust that one. (he's the only auction with this warning). I did see the list of components needed to make your own but the instructions kinda lost me otherwise I would spend the $6 in materials. Know of a better set of instructions?

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

The one I built I *think* I grabbed diagrams off of the winaldl site. The guys name on the diagram is something like Sanja Vatuk, which I'm sure I just butchered lol. In any case, it's pretty simple to build. Mine is ugly as heck, but works.

Post up a link of the diagram you've found.

3. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

Here is the diagram, I can probably follow it ok but I'd be worried I would get something crossed and fry something. I guess the confusing parts are like the "R2", Do I actually tie in connector 2 and 4? Any insight would be great. TBI Chips did have an easy follow through but they took that page down :doah:

[​IMG]

4. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

Ok, so from the looks of it, Serial #5 goes to ground, Serial #2 has a jump to Serial #4, Serial #2 also goes to Data. Is that correct? If so easy enough, just would like to be sure.

5. dyeager535

Yep, thats pretty much it!

Be careful with that DB9 picture though, hold YOUR DB9 in front of you and look at the numbers on each pin. In the case of the diagram I used they had the pins in the picture reversed.

Radio shack had the resistors and transistor that I needed. Pretty cheap. Serial Cable I already had one of, but even new I don't think a cheapy is that much.

6. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

I guess I just don't get it, but where does the transistor go? I got all the parts from Radio Shack just need to make sure I do it correctly.

7. dyeager535

Well, looking at the diagram, the collector leg of the transistor goes to pin 2 and R2. Emitter leg is hooked to pin 5 which will go to pin A on the ALDL connector. Finally, the base will have R1 hanging off of it, going to E on the ALDL.

Make sense?

On the back of the package for the transistor it should have a diagram of which leg is emitter, base, and collector.