Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Best place to hook a vacuum gauge up on TBI

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BigBadJap, May 28, 2003.

1. BigBadJap

BigBadJap Registered Member

Hello! I would like to test the vacuum on 5.7 TBI and quite honestly, I have no idea where the best place to hook the gauge up is...

Can somebody help me out? (Please be descriptive, I'm quite dumb... /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif )

2. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

If your '89 is similar to my '90, you can unplug the vacuum tube that goes to the front of the EGR solenoid and connect the gauge there, if you're just doing a quick test. The EGR solenoid is on the passenger side of the engine, on top of the intake manifold, just in front of the MAP sensor. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

3. MousePowrd

MousePowrd 1/2 ton status

There is a 90 degree fitting in the manifold between the EGR and distributor if you want a vacuum connection for a bigger size hose

4. BigBadJap

BigBadJap Registered Member

Eureka! I've found them both! Thanks for the help!

5. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

THe EGR port may not get full vacum at idle. For testing I alwasy grab the HVAC vac line. You can grab it right behind the TPI in front of the distributor. If you want to be slick you can put a T in there where it's easy to get at and just cap it. Becarefull where you put the T. There is a Check valve in that line to hold Vacuum for the HVAC system. You need to be between that check valve and the manifold.

Most of the ports on the TBI are timed for the emmisions crud is why I don't use them.