Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Best place to live in the USA?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by newyorkin, Jun 7, 2004.

1. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

My wife and I are talking about other places we'd consider living. My house needs massive amounts of work and has been depressing the poop out of me, and we're not sure we love NY enough to keep paying so much to live here. Plus, I'm getting tired of my username. Big points for me are getting a lot of land with whatever house we buy, and CCW laws (although not a deciding factor). Schools, crime, and stuff are probably big factors, too.
    Also, of course work is a big factor. I don't mind an hour commute (shorter would be better), but I'd like to make what all my trade magazine salary surveys say, which is usually in a metropolis.

2. CaveBlazin

CaveBlazin 1/2 ton status Premium Member

You forgot one great place, it was even voted most friendly place in the US. Nashville TN and if you want land there's an abundant amount and its real cheap my dad just bought 15 acres with a house and nice wooded area for 70k super sweet deal and only 45 minutes from nashville and all the jobs. Its beutiful there thats all I have to say...

3. SF87K5

SF87K5 1/2 ton status

I second TN, that is where we will retire in 11 years. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

What the hell, this is COLORADO K5 after all. Update that poll!

Seriously, Montana is a good choice, Salt Lake City is growing like crazy and the NE part of Utah is nice (plus Moab is a hop+skip+jump). Idaho has seen a lot of job growth lately too. Obviously all of these areas are easy CCW places. Plenty of hunting fishing and most of all PUBLIC LANDS. (sorely lacking on the East coast)

5. camiswelding

camiswelding 1/2 ton status

Im real interested in this poll as my wife and I are on the hunt to leave kalifornia...
    I do like the PNW but we have some parameters
    1) not many military bases, nuke sites or generators
    2) low lifes to a minimum
    3) affordable land that isnt so far from civilization that Id be a hermit
    5) good medical care as I age,,, you younguns dont know yet...
    6) A trained workforce, less unemployed lowlifes
    5) good environmental regs balanced with smart land use
    some breathing room

6. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Montana /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif Went to Billings last summer. Very pretty drive, lots of history. But I'd put "The Black Hills" on your list.

7. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Well crap, I can't seem to edit the poll... Keep the suggestions coming, though, heck with the poll!

8. ugly_blazer

ugly_blazer 1/2 ton status

If I had to choose where I wanted to live the most it would be between Pennsylvania and Arizona.

9. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

Central Oregon or Western Colorado are my favorites /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Although being withing an hour or two of Moab would be nice...

10. big pappa b

big pappa b 3/4 ton status

It sure as hell aint this shithole..I mean Delaware

11. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

Texas. Need I say anymore? Where in TX would you want to move to? Land prices out west are usually cheaper...

12. fjleiter

fjleiter 1/2 ton status

I'd scratch Upstate NY off the list, same taxes etc... but no jobs.

My vote would be for southern/western Virginia or the Carolinas.

13. thezentree

thezentree 3/4 ton status

CAROLINAS!

especially the coast. mild winters, not too hot summers, beach, friendly people, and its a growing area. good wheelin spots arent too far away either, and there are a bunch of CK5ers around here /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

14. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I would think about the Carolinas, Montana, Nevada, and Colorado. I am also a fan of the Dakotas. Despite what you may hear DO NOT CONSIDER CALIFORNIA! It sucks here big time, smog laws are terrible, left winged morons that don't know their butthole from a hole in the ground, traffic, traffic, traffic, people EVERYWHERE! I am a quiet person and would like to one day move someplace where there are few people, less traffic, more rural, and a republican dominated area.

15. SS66

SS66 1/2 ton status

Montana, Wyoming and Alaska are the only states in the Union that I would ever consider moving to.

16. bigyellowjimmy

bigyellowjimmy 1/2 ton status

Arizona.......awesome wheeling, conservative values and laws, great schools, one of the fastest growing areas in the USA, tons of IT and tech work, great weather 9 months a year. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

17. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Ok, so top of the heap right now is TN, AZ, NC/SC, MT, and TX.
    Lack of work, and distance from extended fambly is a factor in all considerations now. I want to try to be drivable for the next 9/11/Blackout/disaster, so we can die with family. And of course I want to have work.

Isn't Arizona mostly desert?
    Texas, I can't think of any reason I wouldn't want to move there.
    Tennesee sounds awesome, don't know why it didn't come up, and I know some peeps in Nashville already. Is this state very liberal? My old oss went down there and has become a foaming-at-the-mouth John Kerry foo.
    Montana is faaaar away from grandma and granpa...
    The Carolinas *might* be out because my sister in law might be moving there, and I think having us too near would be bad for her (oh, and us).

What am I forgetting? I wouldn't mind Florida, and my father in law's moving there, but I don't think my wife likes the weather.

Can you guys put up some links to your local help wanted classifieds (like http://www.nytimes.com)?

18. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

[ QUOTE ]
    Im real interested in this poll as my wife and I are on the hunt to leave kalifornia...
    I do like the PNW but we have some parameters
    1) not many military bases, nuke sites or generators
    2) low lifes to a minimum
    3) affordable land that isnt so far from civilization that Id be a hermit
    5) good medical care as I age,,, you younguns dont know yet...
    6) A trained workforce, less unemployed lowlifes
    5) good environmental regs balanced with smart land use
    some breathing room

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll pick you up on my way out of the state...... NH or bust! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

19. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

I have looked at TN pretty close in the last year. Eastern TN (Knoxville) is near the mountains and good wheeling. Western TN (Nashville) probably has better job opportunities unless you have a background in Nuclear Decommissioning /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

20. bigyellowjimmy

bigyellowjimmy 1/2 ton status

Phoenix south to Mexico is desert, north there are mountains. I went wheeling last Christmas near Mt Ord about 1 hour from my house in Chandler (suburb of Phoenix) and it snowed on us. Flagstaff is 2.5 hrs north and there's great mountains and skiing in the winter. Mexico is 3 hrs south. The largest (possibly the only) statewide newspaper is the Arizona Republic (azcentral.com). Phoenix is now the 6th largest city in the USA, just passing Philadelphia. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif