Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Best place to order repair panels

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by ONEQUIKSS, Jan 14, 2007.

1. ONEQUIKSS

ONEQUIKSS Registered Member

Im going to rip apart my NY rot box and im going to replace all inside panels. I have ordered most of my parts from lmc however I feel there price and quility is poor Would anyone have another place for me to look? Thanks Mike

2. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

95% of all repair jap panels are made at the same place. just who buys them and puts on there sticker.

3. ONEQUIKSS

Yea I think im starting to see that the more I look. So does anyone know someone closer to NY then lmc or maybe cheaper also? I think their price is alittle to high.

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

If you want good panels, you will pay more money. If you want good stuff, get what you can from GM (if anything is still sold) and from there, look at getting cut pieces from vehicles from places like Arizona.

If the truck is that bad, and you want a good looking rig, buying a body from out west is a good option, it is certainly less hassle/time than trying to repair a thoroughly rusted K5.

5. ONEQUIKSS

Yea I looked into that already and gm is way to much for what parts are still around. Im looking for an arizona truck but I think most jap panels will do fine I have mig machine all the tools i also will have the truck media blasted and Im going to paint the whole truck with por15 and have the inside and outside lined. so rust should stay away for a while. I think chevyduty looks alittle better on price then lmc.

6. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

any local body shop paint supplyer will carry them as thay sell to body shops. its like the walmart of auto . thay have all the good stuff. :haha:

7. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I just though of another place. Certi-fit or certifit. I suspect they are nationwide, http://www.certifit.com/

Bought my replacement '85 grille from them for about $20, really good quality, only minor fitment issues, I suspect if the metal all comes from the same place (which is very likely as mentioned) the best you can do is find the cheapest source.

I'm not a big fan of the foreign metal, by all accounts it is thinner than stock, which would be a real issue in these trucks, with the frames as weak as they are. More flex through the body in certain spots would really get interesting.

8. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

9. BlaKK54Speed

BlaKK54Speed 1/2 ton status

i was just lookin on lmc and they look fairly cheap, can you order them directly from them???

10. BlaKK54Speed

BlaKK54Speed 1/2 ton status

justed checked, yes you can order direct

11. Skull Leader

Skull Leader Registered Member

Arizona huh? I spent months looking for a K5, and only 1 or 2 out of about 10 had rust around the Phoenix area. Lucky me. I bought my 87 from NM, formally a AZ Blazer from east Texas. The only rust is the paint itself.