Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Best place to put a fuel filter?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by k5king2, Nov 1, 2003.

1. k5king2

k5king2 Registered Member

Hi everyone,

Were is the best place to put an inline fuel filter on a 4 bb Qjet? Before the pump? After the pump? near the fule inlet? What is the best fuel filter to use? Also considerations for saftey?

THanks

2. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

Unless you're running an electric fuel pump or live in an area where you get lots of bad gas, the fuel filter in the inlet of the carb should be sufficient.

3. jwduke

jwduke 1/2 ton status

If it isn't too much of a problem, I'd put one from a '87 or newer with fuel injection, some where on the frame. Then put your add on one up by the carb. The filter that is used on the FI system is a steel one that is about 2.5" across, and about 3.5" long. They are good for about 3-4 years of service. Plus they will take some good fuel pressure.

4. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

With a mechanical pump, you generally shouldn't put a filter in front of the pump. At most I would consider only a very low restriction pre-filter. The in carb filters are pretty lame with a very limited filter surface and difficult to check or service. Also, the filter pocket is frequently damaged after repeated r&r. I generally remove the in carb filter and place a 1.5 x 2 (roughly) on in the line between the pump and the carb in a convienient to service place. Easy to check/test and easy/cheap to replace at a whim. Just did this on my son's K5...

5. jwduke

jwduke 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    With a mechanical pump, you generally shouldn't put a filter in front of the pump. At most I would consider only a very low restriction pre-filter. The in carb filters are pretty lame with a very limited filter surface and difficult to check or service. Also, the filter pocket is frequently damaged after repeated r&r. I generally remove the in carb filter and place a 1.5 x 2 (roughly) on in the line between the pump and the carb in a convienient to service place. Easy to check/test and easy/cheap to replace at a whim. Just did this on my son's K5...

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeap, you're right! I didn't even think of that.....

6. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

I run an electric pump rather than a mechanical for various reasons. I have a filter right before the pump along the framerail then another before the carb. Where 1 is good 2 are better because both pump and carb are protected.

7. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

I have a marine spin-on filter bolted to the frame just over the rear axle. I've put about 5k miles on this set-up w/o any trouble, even from the fuel in Baja. About half of those miles were driven south of the border.