Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

best platform to start with

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Snyiper, Feb 19, 2005.

1. Snyiper

Snyiper Registered Member

I'm looking for a blazer to start as a project.mudding, trails and some snow plowing are what i plan to do. Emissions are not a problem in my area.What years are the best to start with and give the best benefits.ex. fuel injection vs carb. or do i look for one that has a solid front axle(do they all have sfa)?

TIA
    -Glenn

2. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

The best would probably be an 89-up truck with EFI and an NP 241 transfer case in my opinion. You can make any work, but 89-91 are probably the easiest to start with. If you want an auto trans they'll have the 700R4 with all of the factory upgrades, the 241 has better low range, and a 350 with EFI so you're already ready to go there. They even sometimes come with oil and transmission coolers if they're equipped with a towing package.

3. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

'80 is a good year also (guaranteed NP205, and available 400SB) but are certainly a dying breed.

89-91 is more realistic. Same good features as already mentioned, plus increased axle splines (30 vs. 28). Also possibility of a 6.2L diesel... IMO, more reliable than carb or EFI :D