Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

best price on an Optima yellow top?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Chris Demartini, Mar 18, 2003.

1. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

<font color="blue">My truck needs a new battery and I want a yellow top. The best price I've found locally is $142, anyone know where I can get it cheaper? /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

2. rick88blaze

rick88blaze 1/2 ton status

autozone has pretty good prices on them but you won't find one much cheaper than than $140 or so. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

3. Langosta39

Langosta39 1/2 ton status

I dunno about an Optima, but I bought an Exide GelCel/SpiralCell battery with 1000CA/~700CCA and dual terminals for $100 and change from Les Schwab, NAPA also carries them. They also have a bigger version, but this is better than the low end (Red?) Optima and has a 2yr free replacement and 5 year after that prorated warrenty.

something to think about before buying for the name...

andy

4. wa_jeeper

wa_jeeper Registered Member

You could also try with 4wheel parts, they have the Optimas as well as the Exide/ProComp version...

5. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

I think Optima(or the company that makes Optima) owns Exide, so it's really the same damn thing...I could be wrong though...

6. BowtieRed

BowtieRed 1/2 ton status Author

umm it'll cost - the cost of an economy battery+yellow paint+"O" stencil+"P" stencil+"T" stencil"+"I" stencil+"M" stencil+"A" stencil

in all seriousness though, I' ve seen them for 135.99.

7. yunit

yunit 1/2 ton status

I need a new battery too, let me see what I can get at dealer cost. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Nope, Optima is owned by Interstate Battries, one of Exides biggest competers. Exide builds the Pro-Comp spiral batt, though.

9. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Somebody tell me. What is so good about Optima batts that makes them worth 145 bones./forums/images/graemlins/ooo.gif
    Are they gold plated or something ?
    My old AC Delco lasted me 7 years of hard use befoe it got weak. I dont see optimas lasting that long.
    For $145 I could put in a dual AC Delco Batt system and still have money left over.
    Am I missing something?

10. JohnnyFresno

JohnnyFresno 1/2 ton status

I'd try Summit Racing, they price match anyone I think.

11. bigjbear

The yellow tops are a deep cycle batt. If you need one they do cost more. A normal red top Optima about 110 and were less than 100 before they got popular.

12. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Yes But What is the advantage of a Optima that makes them worth so much ? I know they are sealed. But unless you roll your truck regularly or drive around under water. I see no reason for a sealed battery.
    A/C Delco Deep Cycle/starting batterys are only 59.99. The ones in my boat get beat hard and absused regularly and hold up well. The oldest one is over 5 years old and still will run a electric trolling motor for 1/2 day.

13. yunit

yunit 1/2 ton status

Chris,
    I can get these Exide Orbital Deep Cycles for $100.
    exide

14. Storm Trooper

Storm Trooper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Dillon Colorado, Hang'in in the mountains. Renting
    I found two yellow tops for my truck from Carquest for $89 each. They are blems but new and I have had no problems.
    I have a lot of stuff on my truck and wanted a good batt.
    No, I don't roll my truck regularly but I think the gel is less likely to leak and tear everything up. I just wanted to test them out and haven't heard a complaint yet about them. I had to borrow one of them for my plow truck and it held up better than a interstate 65 for a diesel. My plow sucks the power. I have them watching for some more if they can get them.

15. TONYP

TONYP 1/2 ton status

I got mine from SAM'S club...
    Champion XLT, 1000 amps , 770 cold amps,
    36 month free replacment...$98.00

16. bigjbear

As far as what makes it better; its more the construction than that it is sealed. It has better charge/discharge rates, ie quicker starts and less time to recover. It is also built to take vibration and jolts better-the plates can't break loose. Last the one is the one that I think matters, it will maintain a flatter discharge rate-when winching it will provide full power longer. NOTE: These are all claims from Johnson Controls. When I bought mine the batt flopping was a real concern because the only part of the front clip that was on was the rad core support and the bat was in a milk crate. As far as price, mine was is the old style red top(1000 CCA), I paid $100 out-the-door w/ my clubs discount at 4WPW. How much did you pay total, include tax &amp; core charge and how many CCA was your batt? Would I buy another? I'll have to see how long it lasts, but so far, yes for $100 I would.