Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

best rear shackle lift

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BrandonW, Sep 21, 2005.

1. BrandonW

BrandonW Registered Member

Give me your opinions on who manufactures the best shackle lift

2. rooferbret

rooferbret 1/2 ton status

I have the ord shakle flip on my Jimmy and am very happy with it.

3. moturbopar

moturbopar 1/2 ton status

I have the sky flip and I like how you dont have to flip shackles from side to side to do the 56" swap. Has holes drilled for both lengths.

4. Drey

Drey 3/4 ton status

Take a look at DIY4X.com's schakle flip. Cybrfire a CK5 member makes them and they look to be much stronger then ORDs to me.

5. BigOrange90Jimmy

BigOrange90Jimmy 1/2 ton status Premium Member

went with ORD myself. gotta stick with the first in the game....

6. k5krawler73

k5krawler73 Newbie

home made shackle flip

I have been talking with a few of my friends and you can make your own using the shackles off the front of another 1973-1987 chevy truck, suburban, blazer. All you need to do is procure another set or front shackle mounts. Retain your old shackles. Postion them on rear of the frame so that you retain your stock pinion angle. And drill and bolt them in place. It gives you a 4 inch lift retaining the stock spring and I am told gives you a great ride.

7. k5krawler73

k5krawler73 Newbie

home made shackle flip

I have been talking with a few of my friends and you can make your own using the shackles off the front of another 1973-1987 chevy truck, suburban, blazer. All you need to do is procure another set of front rear leaf spring shackle mounts. Retain your old shackles. Postion them on rear of the frame so that you retain your stock pinion angle. Then drill and bolt them in place. It gives you a 4 inch lift retaining the stock spring and I am told gives you a great ride.

8. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

I really like the DIY4X shackle flip because you can make your own shackles to the length you need to fine tune the ride height, and making them a bit longer than the (weak) stock shackles will help to smooth the ride a bit. The DIY4X kit also comes with backing plates. And Kert is a cool guy to deal with, too :D http://www.diy4x.com/suspension.htm

9. rdn2blazer

rdn2blazer 1 ton status Premium Member

i bought the ORD's for my blazer cause DIY's was not out yet. but i do have to say they are pretty bitchen. im think'in i might save my ORD's for my lift on my srw crewcab or sub since they wont see the hardcore wheelin my blazer will see. so i probably will get a set of the DIY for the shackle strength. ORD or DIY style both look cool though. yes i know ORD has HD shackles now but i still like the plate style better, cause god forbid you bent a set of 3/8 thick shackles, you could make a new set out of 7/16 or even 1/2 plate for some serious overkill but bullit proof shackles.

10. steve_kibbe

steve_kibbe 1/2 ton status

I have a ORD for my 72, but I do like the diy one aswell

11. 3rdshiftdesign

3rdshiftdesign 1/2 ton status

home made x2

I made this one for my blazer and suburban:

[​IMG]

1/4" Plate with 2x2x.375 square tubing, and then a peice of 1/4" plate to mount the shackle in. It also re-uses one of the factory brackets -- im not sure if they all do or not.

I've used this setup for a while and haven't had any problems with it.

Then there is also another home brew setup, where you unbolt the spring, and cut a hole in the top of the hanger where the spring mounts, flip your shackle, and weld a peice of pipe 2" pipe cut in half or bend a peice of plate to cover the hole. It works, i haven't done it though.

12. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

I run the ORD flip, very beefy and have had no problems with it but had the DIY flip been out I would have gone that direction. The combination of the backing plates and the shackle style is a big plus for the DIY setup.

13. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

I have the Sky kit. It appears to be plenty beefy, already has the extra shackle holes so you don't have to remove and swap them around for 56" springs...........and you can catch them on sale for significantly cheaper than either the ORD or DIY versions (a CK5 vendor sold them for $105/kit).

14. BozoWise

BozoWise 1/2 ton status

15. rhuarc31

rhuarc31 Registered Member

I made mine 2 years ago like k5krawler said, works great, great ride, and best of all, I've got 40 bucks in it. Use rear spring front hangers from a blazer or truck, though the ones from a truck will actually give you more lift as they are longer due to the taller frame. With mine and a set of 4 inch lift 56's I've got 9 inches of lift with no blocks or angle shims, and the thing flexes like crazy and rides great.

16. BrandonW

BrandonW Registered Member

Has anyone towed and or haulled a camper with there shackle flip?

17. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

I have the ORD flip. Got it before DIY, but its great. I have hauled boats, my m105 military trailer loaded with stuff and a regular trailer without problem.