Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

best rebuilt for 700r4???

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by George_Pimpdaddy, Sep 12, 2006.

1. George_Pimpdaddy

George_Pimpdaddy 1/2 ton status

Hi there im taking my blown 700r4 in to the shop to be rebuilt and im wondering if there is any things or extras tht i should be thinkin about? its from my 89 blazer 4x4 full size i already have the tranny out and called around and found a known tranny builder in the area. im gonna get it rebuilt there for a rough cost of $800 canadian with a new torque converter of course. are there any upgrdes tht i shouldnt miss im thinkin about a shift kit as well as i bevieve that it had one when i bought it but not to sure now of the brand or stage. will that beable to be reused or should i be asking for a new one? im trying to keep the rebuild cost low since i got more stuff to do to the truck :doah: thanks guys:bow:

2. southernspeed

southernspeed 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

This has been covered a few times quite recently. A search should drag up all the info you need.

3. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

I would just let the tranny builder do what he usually does to them if you want to keep costs down.
    A trans pan with a drain plug in it would prolly be the best mod you canb do. Fresh clean oil will keep a 700 alive a long time.
    Be sure to clean out your tranny cooler/lines good before you install your new trans.

4. k5floyd

k5floyd 1/2 ton status

i dont know much about transmissions but ive heard a common upgrade is to put in a corvette servo. amyone know anythin about this mod?

5. bigblock72

bigblock72 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

In a nutshell, corvette servo, Beast sun gear shell, 4l60e teflons for reverse input (on pump), Z Pack 3-4 clutch pack or good commercial clutches with 8 or more frictions, and good thorough overhaul with usual updates that any good trans shop will do will make a long lived trans. Don't forget a good big cooler and a trans temp gauge.

6. k5floyd

k5floyd 1/2 ton status

what is different about the vette servo? and what would it improve? i was thinking of doing a shift kit and maybe a vette servo to my 700 not that it needs it i just want a better performing tranny. shifts are a lil on the slow side, and a lil firmer shift would be nice

7. yoshisv

yoshisv 1/2 ton status

My 700 had a corvette servo in it. It would shift hard in to second. To hard imo.

8. bigblock72

bigblock72 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

The Corvette servo has more apply area so it holds the band tighter and firms up the second gear shift. Makes a nice upgrade with shift kit, I like to run type F fluid to firm up all the shifts. Make sure to install while you have the pan off, sometimes the band likes to pop out of place so the apply pin doesn't engage right. If you have the pan off you can see if the servo is pushing the band.
    If you want a real firm shift go to a billet servo (second and fourth) and a wide band, then it'll bark the tires on every shift and knock the mirrors off, and break the back window out, and............it's pretty cool.

9. southernspeed

This is what I've done along with a Transcat kit but I'm seriously considering taking the billet servo off. The 1-2 shift a WOT is vicious. I'm sure it's going to break a sprag or shaft.

10. 1985_K5_Silverado

1985_K5_Silverado 1/2 ton status

Is it the kind of upshift that is all right for a 2500 pound vehicle, but a bit to hard for a 4500 pound vehicle? I can see that.

11. southernspeed

Yeah, in a lighter vehicle it would probebly just light the tires up but in my truck it's like getting hit up the rear by a semi. It sounds too harsh to be good to me so I'm just laying off WOT shifts for now!

12. George_Pimpdaddy

George_Pimpdaddy 1/2 ton status

thanks for some of the info also is my 89 tranny gonna be mostly factory updated? like have most of the problems fixed throughout the years? thanks for the input guys :bow:

13. txfiremank5

txfiremank5 1/2 ton status

I had most of that stuff done to my 97 K1500's 4L60E. Corvette servo, kevlar bands, extra clutches .. but they also drilled out the valve body to allow more fluid flow. 1st to 2nd is a bit firm, but not too bad at all.

It's been going strong for about 5 years now, no complaints at all, I'm very happy with it.