Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Best remote control.... ever!

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Jagged, Oct 25, 2006.

1. Jagged

Jagged 1 ton status

Just got myself the ultimate universal remote! A Logitech Harmony 520. This neat bastid just got rid of; my tv remote, reciever remote, cd player remote, and my dvd player remote. I love the macros on this thing :D

2. BurbLover

BurbLover 1/2 ton status

I'v egot a brand new one of those that I've never actually used.

3. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

My Onkyo reciver remote is a universal,it's got all kinds of macros too,I never use them though.

4. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

I might be a geek. :doah: :whistle: :haha:

I have a touchscreen PC mounted on a pedestal by the couch, which autoboots and runs Firefox... there's a web interface on my movie server which displays on this thing, and the webserver spits out IR and RF remote codes through a transceiver in front of the stereo components (it learns, too, for stuff that isn't pre-programmed.)

Some of the stuff is macro'd ... the "on macro" turns on the PC that plays movies, turns on the TV and the stereo, auto-selects that input, etc.

:rolleyes:

-- A

remote.jpg

5. Jagged

Jagged 1 ton status

I hit a couple buttons, and the remote automagically turns on my tv to the proper input, dvd player, turns on the reciever and selects the appropriate audio input. I hit another button, then the tv and dvd turn off, cd player comes on, starts playing, and the reciever tunes into the cd player :D

bad ass

6. BurbLover

BurbLover 1/2 ton status

Yeah, it's pretty cool. Programmed via computer.

Yeah, but I still think that setup is awesome. At least until it has a problem :doah:

7. bigbluesuburban

bigbluesuburban 1/2 ton status

Dude,

That is the most excellent waste of money I have ever seen in my whole life. I only wish that I could waste it just the same as you did. I am totally jealous.

I hate you

8. jekquistk5

jekquistk5 Weld nekid Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Almost the same setup here, but I just use a tablet pc to spit out all the rf. :) works pretty well. I have to be closer then I would like though.

9. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

thats sweet!

Have been looking at the Logitech remotes, just haven't got one yet. tired of switching between 5 different remotes....
    I was looking at getting the Sony RM-AX4000 though with the touchscreen... Anyone use one of those?

10. dremu

Aww, the touchscreen was an Ebay deal... $150 or so, IIRC. The IR gizmo was like $99, back in the day ... and the rest is my sweat and swearing coding the mess. Mmmm, serial port access in Perl :doah:

Well, the webserver we don't count for this project as it's there anyway :rolleyes:

But, yeah, it's crazy. I touch a button and the signal goes from that computer across an ethernet to another computer in another room back through a CAT5 to the IR thing in front of me ... THE most convoluted way for a signal to travel, 'cuz I'm too lazy to walk five feet :haha:

-- A

-- A

11. dremu

Aw, sheeit. Don't remind me. The IR thing plugs into a USB serial port thing, and every time I plug it into a different USB socket it gets a different COM port # :doah: ... c'est la vie. That machine has TOO much serial crap on it -- the IR thing, and also a GPS and radio receiver acting as atomic clock receivers :whistle: Okay I *am* a geek =))

-- A

12. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

yikes.. my Onkyo receiver works with everything already. Bling would be cool tho. Bah, I'd rather save up for a huge LCD TV. :thumb:

j

13. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

I got a $10 walmart special universal remote b/c the old remote broke in half. Its so ghetto it cant even find the right code for my dvd/vcr combo. I have like 6 remotes on the table, and it takes all of them just to get everything to work right, so yeh, beat that.

14. Emmettology 101

A nice 37" or so LCD would be nice! I keep stopping by Best Buy and Circuit City to check them out!! :D

15. garlicbreath

garlicbreath 1/2 ton status

This is what I have
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Pronto-TS1000_W0QQitemZ280041669583QQihZ018QQcategoryZ61320QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I have had it for about 5 years and love it.
    Check out remotcentral.com for lots of stuff.
    It's a touchscreen and fully customizable with your computer. I have a homepage that staarts the nacros for watching tv, dvd's, radio, etc. Turns on only what you need and then goes right to the pages for the device. Even does my lights.
    Best part is it does discreet codes. Codes your equipment knows but your standard remote knows nothing about.

16. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

yeah LCDs are kick ass. I don't care what peeps say about plasma... I think a decent LCD tv would last damn near forever. I'd like to get one for the bedroom.... I'd just have to figure out a way to have the thing mounted on some kind of swing-arm that was attached to the bed frame that way you could lay down and then swing the TV in so it was relatively close. Cool thing about LCD is that they are VERY easy on the eyes... no reason why you can't be pretty close to it. Then I'd only need a smallish (read: pretty cheap these days!) one and not a 47" one. ;)

Someday I'll get a huge TV of some kind for my main AV center... but I'm gonna wait until I can get 1080p... LCD... thin... and (the kicker) inexpensive. :thumb: Prices have been plummeting on big TVs the last few years... I can wait a few more.

j

17. Emmettology 101

I've been looking aroudn at tv's lately.. Cant afford one, but will be saving for a new one soon... This Sony doesn't seem like a bad deal and supports 1080i signal....
    LINK

18. Emmettology 101

Just came across this deal on Ableshoppers.com

Logitech Harmony 880 Advance Universal Remote $139.00 Shipped
    Dell Home has the Logitech Harmony 880 Advance Universal Remote for $249.00 - $110 off coupon code "$19MS?F4K1TXBR" (Starts 10/24/2006 7AM CT. Expires 11/03/2006 @ 8AM CT or after First 4000 redemptions) = $139.00 with free shipping

19. Emmettology 101

Hey j.. Went to Circuit City last night between my classes. They had a new Samsung DLP with 1080p.... Man, does that make a huge difference over te 720p tvs!!!! It was as crisp and clear as a regular LCD.. Would like to see a 1080p LCD next to a 720p model.....

20. garlicbreath

garlicbreath 1/2 ton status

Which ones can you use as a computer screen too? Like for gaming and whatnot?