Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Best riding Suspension??????

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Supreme70, Feb 2, 2005.

1. Supreme70

Supreme70 1/2 ton status

Best Riding Suspension Lifts??????

Hello All, now I was wondering if you could help me out, I want to lift my 87 1/2 ton truck 8 inches. Now what I'm wondering is, will I get a better ride from a 4 inch suspension drop with a 4 inch spring kit or just go with a 8 inch suspension kit. Im looking to clear enough for a set of 37 inch Baja claws under it and would love to get the best ride I can and still have enough suspension flex for some serious fun. Im also wondering who makes the best kits for this, with out killing the check book altogether. I do have a set of axles out of a 77 3/4 ton , dana 44 front and the 14 bolt 10.5 rear. I am not looking to lift the body of the truck if this helps out. Please let me know.

Thanks in Advance: Michael

Last edited: Feb 2, 2005
  2. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

For a 37" tire I would recommend a 6" front spring and a 2" rear spring with a 4" shackle reversal kit or 6" rear springs. You don't need 8" lift to clear 37's unless you don't want to trim the fenders.

8" springs are going to ride like a$$. 6" springs will ride and flex better in the front and a 2" lift spring with a shackle flip will ride nicer and flex better then a 6" rear spring lift.

As for manufacturer I would recommend BDS. They are about the best stock off the shelf springs available followed by Tuff Country EZ Rides. I have a set of TC EZ ride HD's in the front of my truck and they are to stiff for my liking. A friend had the BDS in his truck and I am of the opinion that his suspension was softer.

The EZ Ride HD's are stiffer then standard EZ Ride's but I have 180lbs of winch and bumper to offset the extra spring rate.

Harley

3. Paxx

Paxx 1/2 ton status

I would say use a shackle flip in the rear with a 4" lift spring for the rear and a 6" lift spring in the front with extended shackles and a zero rate up front. The flatter you keep your springs the softer and better they will ride. More lift = more arch. For brand I would use BDS or Tuff Country EZ rides as they are one of the better riding and affordable springs out there. There might be a better front combo, I'll let the other guys pipe up if they think of one.

4. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

i had 83 1/2 with 3/4 and 6"frt and stock rear 5 leaf with 3" body and all ord parts . frt hd shackles and all greasable bushings. flip kit in rear and all greasable bushings with 1" block to leval out truck and 36 no problems. the truck rody better than stock ever did and was smooth as glass and flexed great. and in mud no problems.

p.s. dont forget the stearing box brace for the truck. big meats = broken frames. with out brace.

5. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

if money is no option, get custom leaf packs from someone like deaver, national or alcan. deaver sells thier 6" front spring for about 550 a pair i think. for the best ride i'd go with deaver fronts, maybe a 1" zero rate. definatly a shackle flip in the rear. with either TC or BDS 2-4" pack, depending on if you go with 6" or 8" total lift

6. mightywhitey_k5

mightywhitey_k5 Registered Member

I have 6'' supperlifts in the front and blocks in the rear on my 87 and i love the ride. not too happy with all the axle wrap i got with those blocks, so i am in the process of doing the old swap for the 4'' flip in the rear. From what i have read to level out the four in. flip with a 6" lift you need 4" springs in the rear as well. I believe this with greaseable bushings will be a very smooth combo. Dont forget brake lines. If you choose to go with the flip kit in the rear i would make sure to get a long enough brake line to make sure it dosent restrict the articulaton fo your axle. there is nothing worse than your brake line trying to hold up that axle. also shocks will be a factor Blistein's 7100 series are always nice but a little pricie, Rancho 9100 series will always do. one more thing to this list of my finking out on my own experimenting, a 6 in. lift can do some funny things to your drive shaft and pinion angle. you will defiently need at least a 4 degree (possibly more experimenting dosent hurt too bad) shim under your rear leaf springs. and if your drive shaft makes a funny loud vibrating noise every time you let off the gas you should deffiently drop your trans. case temperrally untill you get the money to splurge and get a cv joint for your D.S. if you dont do this you will probably whear out the tail housing of your tranny pretty fast; and as far as the shims go use them or kiss your current u joints buy buy because u will be buying new ones soon.sorry it was so legnthy but every bit of info helps when your lifting your first vehicle, i dont know if it is or not but if it is then u have some pretty usefull info, and if its not then there is someone out there that can use this i am sure.

7. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

I get the most amazingly caddy ride when I remove the sway bar.... :xmas:

Of course, lane changes are a little wiggly.