Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

best rim paint?

Discussion in 'The Body Shop' started by four_by_ken, Nov 4, 2004.

1. four_by_ken

four_by_ken 1/2 ton status

The last time I painted my old rims, I used good ol' spray paint.

First time in the mud. Acted like sand paper and off it came.

This time I am going to start with new bare rims. What paint should I use that is VERY durable. Probably juse use black this time.

2. cegusman

cegusman 3/4 ton status

A good epoxy paint will not come off, That or get them powder coated.

3. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

Would a can of Rustoleum applied with either an air or airless sprayer be any good?

4. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

if your going to go with that, might as well just rattle can it with the same... if your going thru the trouble of using a gun, the most important factor would be to get anything that has a catalyst..

you can use a decent urethane thru a gun for a minimal cost. qrt of paint, pint of hardener and a pint of reducer will run ya $75 to $100 probably... that'll go pretty far too, could probably do 20 rims...

if ya go rattlecan just try to get a urethane, enamel, epoxy.. anything but lacquer... least durable for sure...

5. joez

joez 1/2 ton status

Did you do any prep work on the rims before you painted them? On mine i sanded and tac'd them, primed them, and then spray bombed them, and it still looks as good as the day i did it 6 months ago.

6. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

Thanks, I know close to nothing about paint except for the stuff that I used last time was junk. Thanks for the information. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

7. 84mudmachine

84mudmachine 1/2 ton status

I used rust tuff by krylon, it looks great and is durable. All I did was sand it down, wipe it clean , then paint the rims. I used black and I taped off the tires so I wouldn't have to remove the tire amd rim. /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif

8. sublmnl1990

sublmnl1990 1/2 ton status

prepping the surface is the most important part I have had black rims on all of my vehicles since the early 80's I use Rustoleum Primer for heavily Rusted metal as the base coat. Then a half of can of flat black on each rim then a half of can of the satin finish black on each rim. When they start to dull out, just clean the rims and spray em again w/ the satin finish. If you dont want to get paint on the tires take some poster board and cut it into 1 foot strips long ways. Then take the poster board and wedge it between the tire and the rim. Keep a short peice handy for touch ups. I like the rustoleum better because I dont ever have problems w/spraying, or runs (could be s@#tty) and you get all of the paint out of the can. Have fun Nick /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif