Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Best Rock Guitarist of All Time

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by shewheeler, Feb 13, 2004.

1. shewheeler

shewheeler 1/2 ton status

I came across this poll and was curious to see if the crowd here mirrors what the other poll said. I'm limiting the choices to more of what I would consider 'legends of rock'. In terms of overall greatness, I feel that these guys were ground breakers and, historically had the greatest impact on the music industry. You youngins might need to ask your daddy about some of these guys /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Also considered but not included in the poll:

Yngwie Malmsteen
    Duane Allman
    Satriani
    Steve Vai
    Brian May (Queen)
    Joe Walsh

2. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

Ummmmmmm Where's the Ted Nugent clicky /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

3. mudjunkie 82

mudjunkie 82 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Too many different styles of playing to really pick from.My 2 are Jimmy page and Tony Iommi from Sabbath

4. shewheeler

[ QUOTE ]
    Ummmmmmm Where's the Ted Nugent clicky /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Uhmmmmm... not on my list /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

I like the Nuge, but I wouldn't really consider him a guitar 'legend', therefore, he's not on my list. Rorry /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

5. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Where's the C.C. Deville from Poison clicky? /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

6. shewheeler

[ QUOTE ]
    Where's the C.C. Deville from Poison clicky? /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

See my response regarding Ted Nugent /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif In 20 years, I doubt peeps will look back and say ... yah, that C.C. Deville... he changed the course of music history.

I'm beginning to think this was a bad idea /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

7. mudjunkie 82

Dave mustane from Megadeath, Kirk Hammet from Metallica,Schenker from the Scorpions, Dave Murry from Iron Maiden,Alvin lee,10 years After...................

8. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

Had to go with Clapton, I don't even really care to much for him but I seen him in concert asnd have to say Eric is god... /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

9. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Dimebag Darrel from Pantera, if it wasn't for his super agressive playing style modern hardcore metal wouldn't be like it is.

James Hetfield from Metallica, super fast rythm that helped create the tough technical music that many other bands used for example.

10. dysphemism

dysphemism 1/2 ton status

I think if Randy Rhodes hadn't died he would be considered much more of a legend. Not that many people really know about him, but he made some really good music.

11. shewheeler

Just one more comment about the poll. I purposely didn't include any guitarists from more modern bands (Metallica, Pantera, Iron Maiden, etc.) because if you ask those guys who they idolized or who had the most influence on their style, it would most likely be one of the guys from my poll.

Also, I acknowledge that there are a myriad of wonderful and talented guitar players out there who aren't on my list. The list of nominees would literally be in the 100s if you tried to list EVERY great guitarist from the past 30 - 40 years.

If you don't like my poll... start yer own /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

That is all /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

12. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Too many different styles of playing to really pick from.My 2 are Jimmy page and Tony Iommi from Sabbath

[/ QUOTE ]
    Yaaa Buddy!!!
    Thoes ARE MY most favs!! In that order!!! First Gen Sabbath FREAKIN ROCKS!!!!!

13. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Good poll!

I voted for Stevie Ray Vaughn.
    That dude is simply amazing.
    It was a toss up between him and Jimi Hendrix. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

I also agree with Dimebag Darrel from Pantera that dude shreds on the guitar. Even in concert after a dozen drinks his finger picking is clean. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif Vinnie Paul is my biggest inspiration for the drums, he tears it up on double bass. /forums/images/graemlins/bow.gif

14. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Hmmmmm....I always thought Buck Dharma (Blue Oyster Cult) was the best ever.
    If you have ever seen him play you would know why.
    Also the band still around and "Always on Tour"
    [​IMG]

15. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

very close between clapton and EVH for me... I went with eddie...

j

16. Desert Rat

Desert Rat Fetch the comfy chair

I picked the guitar God Jimmy Page. However, Joe Satriani is also going to be a legend.

17. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

cool poll. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

i had to vote Page, makes up for any sloppyness with the best rock riffs ever...

sentimental mention for Hendrix, Angus, Nuge, Iommi, Jake E. Lee of Badlands fame..

fave bass players... Geezer (Sab rules! /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif), Steve Harris, Cliff Burton, Doug Pinnick of Kings X...

18. shewheeler

[ QUOTE ]
    [​IMG]

[/ QUOTE ]

I saw Soft White Underbelly one time, but I think I was too busy pukin' in the parking lot or somethin cause I don't remember the concert very well. Ah.... the good old days /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

19. mudjunkie 82

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    [​IMG]

[/ QUOTE ]

I saw Soft White Underbelly one time, but I think I was too busy pukin' in the parking lot or somethin cause I don't remember the concert very well. Ah.... the good old days /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

[/ QUOTE ]How about the good old days when you could by a concert ticket for less than 20.00 bucks.. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

20. big pappa b

big pappa b 3/4 ton status

And don't forget Yngwie Malmsteen