Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Best rock sliders?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by KRAZIE87K5, Mar 8, 2002.

1. KRAZIE87K5

KRAZIE87K5 1/2 ton status

Okay, I need a set of rock sliders QUICK before Disney. I would like a set of RockStomper sliders, but they sell for $300. While they are certainly worth the money, I just am not sure that I want to put so much into a few pieces of metal that are just designed to be bruised and beaten.

Does everyone fab their own, or does anyone know of vendors who make sliders?

Thanks!

2. blazen91

blazen91 1/2 ton status

<a target="_blank" href=http://toyboxoffroad.com>toyboxoffroad.com</a>

Less exspensive and better than Rock stompers.

3. KRAZIE87K5

I notice that they don't connect to the bottom of the body though... the RockStomper unit bolts to the frame, and then to the bottom of the pinched seam in the rocker. Does the Toybox version have the strength to support the truck without the support of the body?

Any other vendors?

BTW - Is that Steve's UAV that is pictured on their site?!!! That's pretty cool! Has anyone tested these on "the waterfall" at Disney?

4. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

i think it's toy box that has a pic of a k5 being hi-lifted on one of their sliders. that's looks strong to me.

5. Chaz88K5

Chaz88K5 1/2 ton status

the toy box sliders do mount to the body then have braces that tie into the frame...i just installed mine tonight but have not tested them out yet...hopefully in a few weeks ill be able to abuse them a little..i should have pict.s sometime tommorow afternoon

6. KRAZIE87K5

Cool Chaz... Thanks man! Get some pics up so I can take a peek! Was the install easy? How long did it take you?

7. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

if saving $ is the key... do the off-road.com rocker upgrade. Basically involves chopping your rockers off (a body shop should be able to do this pretty quick/easy with a plasma cutter) and welding on some steel tube in its place. If properly reinforced, its plenty strong, you gain ground clearance (not lose it!), and aside from the cost of the box steel tube and plasma cutting, is cheap cheap cheap. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

J

8. KRAZIE87K5

Hey Jek, do you have the exact link to the offroad.com rocker upgrade? It would kinda suck to cut my perfectly good rockers off... but to save clearance and cost... it might be worth it. Lemme know.

9. Highlander

Highlander 1/2 ton status

10. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

yeah, HL's link is the one. I haven't looked into it yet, but I bet a body shop wouldnt charge much at all to plasma-cut the old ones off and weld the box tube on for ya, especially if you didn't have them do any prep or paint crap. When i do it, I am gonna just herculine everything below my chrome-trim stuff.... that'll save me the hassle of having the body shop do all that stuff... thats the part of body work that costs the most money (takes the most time). prep+paint.

Also, when i do mine, I am prolly gonna use 2x4 tube, maybe even 2x5 to provide a bit more pro to the body above and a step too. The guy that did the write up on off-road.com had another good idea... having the bottom 1/2" or so of your door chopped and that seam rewelded. This would allow you to mount your box tube rockers a little higher and make the bottom of the door tougher too (the small surface-area provided by the stock lip won't suck up impact nearly as well as the much-larger flat part of the door just above said-lip). Not sure if that made sense or not... but oh well. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

at any rate, with a little inginuity this type of rocker upgrade can be PLENTY strong enough to suck up being bashed by big rocks. Theres no real need to mount them to the frame if you attach them securely to the cab mounts on each end and the tub floor along the way (at off-road.com the guy welded to the tub, I'd prolly just bolt that part). If you needed more support in the middle you could always run a tube or two diagonally from the cab mounts to the center of the rocker.

anyway, I can't wait until I have my 1-ton stuff installed.... then I can deal with all these kinds of upgrades. I have been meaning to chop my fenders and rockers for a year now and it has always been on the back-burner because of that damn D60... /forums/images/icons/mad.gif oh well, thats life,

J

11. Chaz88K5

Chaz88K5 1/2 ton status

ok the pics are up on my webshots page...look for the toy box sliders link

12. KRAZIE87K5

Yikes... those things might be functional... but I don't know if I want to hack up the truck quite that bad just yet. Maybe cost isn't that big of a problem... /forums/images/icons/smile.gif/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif

13. blazen91

blazen91 1/2 ton status

The Toybox Slidders bolt to the frame and body. One of the members on this bourd removed his Stomper slidders. Because of the way they bolted to the body, they wouldn't allow the body to flix correctlly and it started causing body cracks on his K5. I beleave the way Stomper bolts his slidders to the pinch mold, it does not let the body flex at all, thus creating these presure points.

Also here is a detailed write up on them by Shawn Spickler over at offroad.com. <a target="_blank" href=http://www.off-road.com/chevy/reviews/sullibuilt/>http://www.off-road.com/chevy/reviews/sullibuilt/</a>

14. ChevBlazin

ChevBlazin 1/2 ton status

Hey Chaz88k5 Do the toy box sliders get in your way while getting in or out of the truck? can they be used as a step or is it kind of akward? I'm looking for rocker protection, but kind of want a step for my passengers also.

15. Chaz88K5

Chaz88K5 1/2 ton status

no they tuck in enough that they dont really keep ya from gettin in and out...as far as using them as a step..there isent much to grip on but they can be used as that...but ya gota keep in mind what they were really designed for...protecting the body from damage...if ya want steps go for the smittybuilt nerf bars...i love the sliders....i just need to beat the hell out of em and see what happens...i am sure they will hold up to what i can dish out.