Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Best S10 for build up

Discussion in '1983-2005 S-Series models' started by oldassjeep, Aug 26, 2005.

1. oldassjeep

oldassjeep Registered Member

I am interested in buyinh a project for building with my son. I have thought about early model Toyotas w/ soild axles. But since I have always been a chebby type, I started thinking of buying/building a S10 4x4 for him when he turns 16. ( a few years to build it).

What years if any were solid front axles?

I have 4.3l motor I could swap for the weak 2.8 if it meant doing so.

Was thinking maybe a ext cab type truck so he will have alittle more room in the cab as I was going to do the tube/flatbed on the rear.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

2. kgblazerfive

kgblazerfive keymaster Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Never had a solid axel front end. 4.3 came in them from the factory so find one already. The swap is not all that bad their aren't any companies that I'm aware off that do the swap so you have to fab your own stuff. You have to either replace the t-case or use a drivers drop front end. Alot go the easier route and put the body on a full size frame. When I did the swap we used the drivetrain from a full size and moved the rear perches on the axel and built new spring mounts on the frame for the front. Used full size axels and didn't care how far out they were from the fenders. We did some boxing on the s10 frame to help support some things but other than that didn't change to much on the frame. The steering box needs to be moved or changed to a Astro van box if you put the axle any father forward the the factory place.