Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

best shocks to buy?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by misfit, Jan 20, 2001.

1. misfit

misfit 1/2 ton status

im going to replace my rancho 5000s. theyre a little too stiff in my opinion. also, should i order shocks for say an 8" lift, even though i have only4"? jusst to have a little more travel.....part numbers would be good too

2. DALE

DALE Registered Member

dude go with rs9000's i have them on my 90 blazer w/4in rancho lift and they are great, but expensive, call desert rat they have good prices on rancho stuff

3. achuskies69

achuskies69 1/2 ton status

I got Rancho 9000's on my 82 Blazer that i got from Desert Rat, and there the best shock i have found, and we just put the 5000's on my mom's 89 K3500 Dually and it improved the ride greatly....

4. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

I wouldn't go with a 8" lift shocks unless you move your upper mount..... If you buy a 8" (lift) shock it will bottom out to fast and you'll need to get shock straps( good idea anyway) but you want a shock that gives you a nice comanation between extension and compression. Ask this question again in the "OffRoad Design " and Stephen can give you the best advice on which shock to use.... I have the Rancho 9000 on my rig and love them.... I had the 5000 befor and you can tell the change that you want. I will add the remote controller inside the truck soon too....I inverted them so my lines wouldn't get caught as easy........

C'moe

<font color=black>the blazer is "Back in Black"

5. Blazer79

Blazer79 1/2 ton status

I'm very happy with my Edelbrock Performer IAS shocks. They really autoadjust. Expensive, though.

<font color=blue>//////
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://blazer79.coloradok5.com>http://blazer79.coloradok5.com</A>
    </font color=blue>[​IMG]

6. Hobbes68

Hobbes68 Registered Member

I used to have RS5000's for a 4" lift in my truck also but I kept breaking the L/R shock mount. Under normal driving conditions the shocks kept on 'topping out' (fully extending) putting an undue amount of strain on the mount. A telltale indicator of this problem is that the shocks kept on loosening up even when really torqued down. After replacing the mount I installed Trailmaster Nitro SS shocks for 5 - 8" lifts and have had no problems so far with bottoming or topping out. The truck rides quite nicely too.

7. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Rancho 9000's are the way to go. A good way to get equal travel from your shocks is to park the vehicle on level ground, measure the front and rear mounts at the frame and axle housing. Take the length and give one of the lift kit companies your measurements. Tell them you want a shock that will have equal travel. Make sure when you mount them, the shaft is extended half way when sitting level.

8. Mudfreak

Mudfreak 1/2 ton status

I just put a set of Edlebrock IAS shocks on my 88, they're worth every penny. awsome shocks! expensive though. You get what you pay for in this case.