Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Best shocks?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Sparky87k5, Feb 21, 2002.

1. Sparky87k5

Sparky87k5 1/2 ton status

I'm about to buy some new shocks but trying to figure out which ones best fit my needs. Present shocks, which are Rough Country, have done a good job but I feel they are a little on the stiff side. Feels like compression valving is too strong and rebounding is too weak. Looking for a better ride like maybe the new Edelbrock versions. Any opinions? I run the 3" heavy duty front springs from Rough Country and rear blocks with stock springs.

87 K5, 427/340hp BBC,4.56 D60 & 14BFF, NV4500, NP208, TSM rear disc's,

2. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

3. white_knight

white_knight 1/2 ton status

I'd have to agree here
    Rancho 9000's. That's what I also use

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.whiteknight.ca/>http://www.whiteknight.ca
    </a>

4. DieselDan

DieselDan 1/2 ton status

Used the Edelbrock IAS on my wifes trooper. They were nice but I don't think they justified their high price tag $$$.

PS. Oh ya, just before she sold it I had one eyelet come off the bottom of the shock rod. Was replaced by Summit without a problem but I was kinda shocked. This truck was NOT wheeled!

Real trucks don't have spark plugs!<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by DieselDan on 02/21/02 06:13 PM.</FONT></P>

5. MR.GADGET

MR.GADGET Registered Member

FYI Summit now has a deal on rs9000 Rancho shocks pay for 3 get one free mine was 225$ for 4 and free shipping-------- got 9000's on my Dodge and Skyjunkers on the blaz but just ordered 4- for the blaz to replace the Skyjunkers!!!!!!!!!!! rs 9000's work for me!!!!!!!! My 2c MR. Gadget

IF IT'S NOT AS BIG AS YOU ARE DRIVE OVER IT!!!!!!!!!!

6. Sparky87k5

Sparky87k5 1/2 ton status

Looks like it'll be Rancho 9000's for me this time. Appreciate the info and figure this many gearheads can't be wrong. Besides. I like the adjustable feature, for towing or cruising, can use different settings now. Will give them a try. Thanks for all the input. I'm in your debt now.

87 K5, 427/340hp BBC,4.56 D60 & 14BFF, NV4500, NP208, TSM rear disc's,

7. chvyhs

chvyhs 1/2 ton status

Cheap ones!

I use the ProComp ES3000's. I can't say that I can tell the difference between these $30 shocks and friends $90 shocks. Good Luck.

<a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/chvyhs>WebShot Pics</a>
    It's a wheelbase thing, you wouldn't understand.

8. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

you might try Doetsch Tech DT8000s...they make lon travels ones...they are beefy, and soft enough to be useful. Half as much as those RS9000s too...

J

See the on-going build up of my '85 Jimmy! <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/jekbrown>http://community.webshots.com/user/jekbrown</a>

9. fourwheelerjeff

fourwheelerjeff 1/2 ton status Staff Member Moderator

pro-comp is coming out with a six way adjustable shock, if you are looking for that feature like the 9000 but don't know about price

Fort Worth Texas K5er[​IMG]It is always easier to ask for forgiveness than permission[​IMG]

10. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

I wanted stiff shocks and I did not want to spend a lot of money, so, I got RS5012s (same as PC 3012s but I could get them locally). I specifically wanted stiff because my shocks are going to be on 30-45 degree angles (still figuring out the details) which dramatically reduces the stiffness of the shock.

Russ

85 K30 CUCV, 350 TBI, TH400, 205, D60/C14, 4.56 Locked, 4" lift, 42" tires
    Some day: massive cutting, shorter wb and rear overhang.