Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Best Snow Tires...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Grieby54, May 30, 2006.

1. Grieby54

Grieby54 1/2 ton status

Well, I'm moving north! I'm moving up to Boulder, Colorado because my dad got a new job up there. However, the car he has now (Mercedes Benz) isn't exactly the best car to drive throw snow and such, so we're looking for a winter vehicle for him. We've pretty much decided we want a Yota Taco, but I'm trying to convince him that he wants one with a bit of a lift and bigger tires, but he's convinced that if there's bigger tires on there he'll be no better off on packed snow than he would in the benz. So guys... this is where you come in. What's the best snow tire for powder and packed snow?

2. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

Generally skinny tires are best with snow. The wider the tire the more you'd float. So if you're offroad in deeper stuff, wide is good, but on the road, smaller skinny tires are best.

About a year and a half ago IIRC, there was some discussion of this and some tire recommendations. Probably be able to find it with a search.

3. The Butcher

The Butcher 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Pickups on icy roads are not fun. Something with a better weight distribution would be more ideal, or you'll want to throw some weight in the back of the truck when it's snowing/icy. Skinnier tires seem to be the choice, especially with lots of siping in them.