Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Best Snow Tires

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Zigblazer, Nov 28, 2000.

1. Zigblazer

Zigblazer Newbie

What are the best Tires for Snow in Minnesota and Wyoming, would they be BFG Mud Terrain, MT Claws, SS Boggers, or what other good tire is there for snow. I am looking at 33" tires for 15" rims.

2. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

That all depends. What kinda snow do you get out there? And is there a state mandate for traction devices? I know certain states have "Traction laws", and some tires don't require that you use them.

3. 87JIMMY

87JIMMY Registered Member

I run 33 x 9.5 BFG AT's and I love them. Great traction, and height from 33's , but they don't "wander" in the slush like a wide tire would. off-road in snow you won't be able to float on top, but I've pushed through some deep stuff before.

Scott 87JIMMY

4. Derf00

Derf00 1/2 ton status

Zig,

If you really spend a lot of time driving in snow and ice, wide tires are not the best choice. This is my personal opinion, but based upon my experience a tall narrow tire is by far the best choice for snow and ice. With respect to M/T or A/T the A/T is better choice.

5. AJMBLAZER

AJMBLAZER Better to be lucky than good. Premium Member

Peterson's 4Wheel and Offroad just did a review of the Yokohama Geolander M/T in the snow last month. It did very well and also did very well on an earlier dry test session. Beat the Claw and the Wrangler MT/R. I keep thinking about them. Cheap price too.

1992 Blazer Sport, 350 TBI, 4L60, 3" Flowmaster, K&N, 3" Rancho, 285/75R16 on 16x8 Baja's[​IMG]

6. Eric

Eric Registered Member

I had very good luck with my 32" BFG AT KO's in the snow and ice last year. Considered getting some BFG MT's but was convinced otherwise.

One eyed super fly- watch out!
    86 K5 Blazer