Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Best soft top?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by NoFear, Jul 17, 2001.

1. NoFear

NoFear Registered Member

Who makes the best soft top? I know most of yall preach about the Can-back, but it doesnt look very wind or water resistant. I'm not too fond of buttons or drilling into the side rails. Are there any other options out there or are they all buttons? How about the Skyler? I heard somebody say they are crap but didn't say why he thought that. I think they look good and no body modifications are needed.

2. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

If Kayline is really going to be back in business, they get my vote for best Soft Top. I love my Fast Trac top. I think Shawn also would agree. These tops are well made, fit good and are durable. I have not had one single problem with mine. I have wheeled the pee out of my K5 with the top on. Missouri has trails with many trees. Most trails are too narrow for a motorcycle let alone my K5. I usually take the sides out and sometimes fold the whole top down depending on the amount of trees. Most of the time when sides are out, the quarter windows take abuse from tree limbs and stuff. It has held up well. I would recommend getting the dark tint option. Looks much better in my opinion. Can back tops are nice, but very pricey. But, Im sure you get what you pay for. The thing I like more about my top is, I can remove the top on the trail and not have any frame in the way. It seals out weather well and bolts on your truck. There is some screwing involved on the tailgate and cab area. Hope this helps.

Mudzer 1978/91 K5
    <font color=blue>www.mudzer.rockcrawler.com</font color=blue>

3. Chaz88K5

Chaz88K5 1/2 ton status

". There is some screwing involved on the tailgate and cab area. Hope this helps."

Oh geez man i know you guy like your trucks but come on now...thats a little extreme! [​IMG][​IMG] sorry i just had to say it! [​IMG]

btw i have the skyler soft top...i love it...but the only down fall is you loose your back seat...so everytime you want someone to ride with ya off comes the top....i would like to get a can back but still trying to pay off my trailer and other random credit card bills.

Donations accepted for the "Build Chaz's 1972 K5 fund"!!!<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by Chaz88K5 on 07/17/01 07:41 AM.</FONT></P>

4. NoFear

NoFear Registered Member

One of the things that draws me to the Skyler (besides the good looks) is that you can tint the window. Dont most of the other soft tops have flexible windows like on jeeps or can you order them tinted? Or maybe I should just lift the truck so high nobody could see in anyhow [​IMG]

5. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

I would love a soft top considering how much a PIA it was to get the top on again. I love the Skyler top look... can's are just way too spendy for my budgets... a grand for a frick'n top... I don't think so. That is a grand I could use on a d60. $600 from skyler is at least a little bit better

-Mikey
    1987 Chevy K5 Blazer- 350 TBI
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/milnerlives_2000/blazer.htm>http://www.geocities.com/milnerlives_2000/blazer.htm</a>

6. 86blazerk5

86blazerk5 1/2 ton status

well, hear is what I know. I have been desperatly trying to buy a soft top all summer long. The Skyler top is curently unavailable, and has benn all summer long. Same with the Kayline. However, the Skyler should be available again in a few weeks, and the Kayline I beleive is also going to eventually be manufactured again also. The Can Back is sweet, but verry pricey, I actually really want one of them but just dont think I can scrape up 1080. The other option is best top, but I dopnt really think anyone has ever been all that impressed with there tops. I think I am going to go woth the skyler, when ever it finally becomes available again. However, if they take to long, I might just come up with a few extra hundred doillars, and buy a Can Back. It is my understanding that the Can Back is the most duarable top you can buy.
    Ike

Spreading The K5 Gospel!

7. 1990K5

1990K5 1/2 ton status

ive had this disscussion before, in my opinion the kayline fasttrack soft top is not a high quality top, and i would not buy another one, especially for $4-500. maybe now that they were bought out it will be a better unit, i heard bestop was comming out w/a new top that you do not have to drill into the body anymore, maybe that will be a decent top for the money. thx-- j.c.

8. 89 Blazzer

89 Blazzer Registered Member

I have a Skyler and I love it. You lose the back seat, but I usually have it off when it is nice out. I got it on Ebay for 300. You may be able to find the other brands there also. Although I haven't seen a Skyler on there for about 3 or 4 months. Maybe more people will sell them in the fall and winter when they aren't using them and their wives are on their backs to get rid of the junk they are storing in the basement!!!