Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Best source for flexy springs????

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by fad2blk99, Sep 5, 2004.

1. fad2blk99

fad2blk99 1/2 ton status

I did a search and I think it actually made me dumber... /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

I want more flex than my 6" (front) & 4" (rear) BDS 1/2 ton springs are giving me. I wanna run 63s out back and what ever is recommended up front. I need about 8 inches lift in the end with what ever I run. What do you guys recommend? What is the source for these springs (year/make/model of a donor or name of a vendor)?

I thought about running my 4" rears up front, less the overload. Any idea how much lift I would end with?

Cutting, welding and fabrication are no problem. /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grind.gif /forums/images/graemlins/weld.gif

Oh, and thanks in advance for enduring yet another "flex" question... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

if you have 4" rear 52's, when you put them up front, that will be 8"
    for the rear you can use a 5" lift shackle flip, along with 3" 63's or 56's

3. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Think coil spring conversion. That'd give ya some flex. I don't know much about it, but I've seen it done on fullsize Chevy's. Maybe someone here on CK5 can tell you about it. BTW, 8" lift + crazy flex = ROLL CAGE !!!!

4. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

if you do coils you woouldn't want to run mud very much, they just get packed with it...

5. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I would just leave the front alone and try the 63s in custom mounts out back for now.

6. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

What kind of clamps do your front bds springs have? If they are the kind that are folded over the top leaf, you might try going to a local spring shop and seeing if they can remove those clamps and add the kind that are open on the top (like stock k5 rear springs clamps) and use a bolt to hold the leafs in... if you got the longer clamps you could drill two sets of holes, one right above the pack and another at the top... when you get to the trail, yank the lower bolt and go. If the leaves can come apart a bit it'll give ya a lot more flex. I vaguely remember some pics posted in the garage forum by someone that showed a k5 with its front springs unclamped and it had maaad flex. Anyone remember who it was? In any case, might be worth a try. If nothing else, it would be cheaper than any other option...

BTW, if you decide to do something else and are gonna unload your 6" BDS front springs... sell em to me. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

j

7. fad2blk99

fad2blk99 1/2 ton status

I will be looking to unload the front springs if I move the rears up front (I'll give you first dibs if I go that route).

I LOVE the idea of coil springs, but I believe that goes well beyond my fabrication ability and budget. And, I do love to play in the mud.

As for the idea on unbolting the leaf packs...
    I do have the u-shaped clamps. They're riveted to a lower spring with a nut and bolt across the top /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif. Each spring has four clamps, 2 each forward and aft of the spring pack center line. Should I try unbolting just the outer most clamps or would it be safe to unbolt all of them?

8. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Spread the clamps so the leaves can fan out, but do not allow them to move horizontally. This will dramatically improve your flex, especially down travel.

9. jekbrown

try just the outer ones first. Personally I like the idea of having taller clamps, so the leafs can't get tooo crazy but they still have room to move. If completely unclamped, I would think you could have some problems breaking leafs. Good deal of lever arm between the shackle and the inner-most 2 clamps you have. I dunno, might be no big deal, just something to think about.

oh yeah, thanks for the dibs. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif I was gonna get a set of 6" front BDS springs anyway... if I could find someone sellin em, that'd be even better. If ya just want new springs, ya might try tuffcountrys, hella low spring rate on the ez-rides.

j

10. fad2blk99

fad2blk99 1/2 ton status

My BDS springs are still pretty new (in the neighborhood of 500 miles on them). I'm leaning toward moving the rear springs up front and going w/ long springs out back. I'm thinking 56". I don't want massive flex; just good flex. I need the extra lift over what I have now to fit 42s (or 44s ) sometime in the near future. I've already hacked the piss outta my fenders.

I'm just in the planning stages of this project though. How soon are you looking to get new springs?

Oh yeah... and for the 56" springs... what year, make, model has the dimensions I need and does a stock 56" give any lift in place of stock Blazer springs?

11. jekbrown

ok cool, whatcha want for them springs? if you know someone going to blazer bash, we could save $ on shipping. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

j

12. fad2blk99

fad2blk99 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    ok cool, whatcha want for them springs? if you know someone going to blazer bash, we could save $ on shipping. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

j

[/ QUOTE ]
    $175 + S/H...
    Unfortunately I don't know anyone from my area headed that way /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

13. fad2blk99

fad2blk99 1/2 ton status

Oh... you got anything to trade???
    I need a winch, 1.5 x 8" ram, long travel shocks, beadlock wheels, vortec heads, 400 (or 3.75" stroke) crank, 241 fixed yoke kit.... blah, blah, blah....