Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Best SSB?

Discussion in 'Communication (CB | GPS | HAM)' started by Hayduke, Sep 10, 2000.

1. Hayduke

Hayduke 1/2 ton status

hey there all,
    i'm thinking of upgrading my old midland and buying a new CB set up with the upper/lower sidebands. anyone have any pro's/con's with particular radios....also i don't want to lay down like $300....
    thanks,
    HAYDUKE

Insured By COLT, Policy #.357M

http://haydukesk5.coloradok5.com

2. mark

mark Registered Member

try a uniden grant they are durable and easy to modify .
    cobras are uniden with cobra stamped on it same thing
    ie. uniden grant and the cobra 148 gtl are the same radio
    mark359@earthlink.net

3. keith

keith 1/2 ton status

I got a midland Standard 40 channel. When I bought it the guy takes it apart and solders two connections together and now when you press the 19 button a arrow appears pointing up for high band/ press again and the arrow points down for low and press again and your back to standard 40. He also tuned it for more power. Cost=165 It's a nice radio too.

79 Blazer 6"lift 35's locked/4:56 http://www.keith.coloradok5.com

4. Get the Uniden Grant. I like the Grant LT cuz the mike plug comes out of the face of the radio (instead of the side) so it fit great in my Tuffy Deluxe center console. Also, check those online auctions. I got mine new in the box for $115 on Yahoo.
    Good luck!

Howie

5. Blazer_Boy

Blazer_Boy 1/2 ton status

The Uniden Grant LT is probably your best for the money. In days gone by Uniden used to manufacture radios for Cobra but there partnership ended and Cobra is no longer associated with Uniden. Uniden has the edge on the quality standard for radios being manufactured now.