Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Best Stuff for Axles?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by AJMBLAZER, May 20, 2000.

1. AJMBLAZER

AJMBLAZER Better to be lucky than good. Premium Member

Okay, I own a IFS Blazer. I once owned a 86 Blazer, but 11 hard Michigan winters made it more sensible to sell it than fix it. Anyways, this truck is my baby. I learned to drive in it. I've been all over the country in it. I lost my virginity in it (don't tell mom or dad, it was theirs when I did it). I bought it for the full value of it. It's been in the family since it was new. I love my truck, and I am proud of it. However...... the IFS sucks @ss. The 3" Rancho lift with Rancho torsion bars cost as much installed as a 8" lift for one of your K5's would cost installed. So, now that ORU has a solid axle conversion kit for my truck and those IFS handicapped trucks like it, I am going to eventually convert it. My plan is about 8 inches of lift with a Dana 60 front and a 14 bolt FF in the rear. This is for 35x14's or so. I can go up to a 36 without them rubbing. I am just a young US Marine, so it will take quite a while for me to build up the considerable sum this will take. So in the meantime I am going to completely plan and research every part of this lift. I figured since I will be making it essentially into a new body style K5, I'd ask the pros about it. You can read the specifics of what I want to do on my little website if you go to my profile and click on it from there. Thanks guys.

1992 Blazer Sport, 350 TBI, 4L60, 3" Gibson, K&N, 3" Rancho, 285/75R16 on 16x8 Baja's

2. Blazer79

Blazer79 1/2 ton status

Good luck with your upgrades. That Blazer will be worth lots of $$$ after you do all those upgrades.

What transfer do you currently have? Do you know if it will work with the solid axle convertion kit? What I mean is if the front driveshaft will align with the Dana60 you're planning.

On the 73-87 style Blazer you don't need 8" to fit 35" tires, unless you're planning on serious flexing. You can get away with 4" of lift. I don't know if you really want that much lift. Maybe your tires will look too small?

Good luck, hope the swap is easy.

<font color=black>//////
    What the heck!...Drive it like gas is $0.50/gal!!!
    </font color=black>[​IMG]

3. AJMBLAZER

The transfer case in my Blazer is the NP241. Standard unit on all IFS trucks from my year. The output is on the opposite side of the pre IFS chevy trucks. So in order to do the swap, I have to use a F*&d front axle. Ford didn't make the axle, so it's not that bad. That way the front diff and the transfer case output are on the same side. On the 88-98 trucks, you can fit 35x12.5's with 6 inches. Sometimes they rub though, if the 6 inches is more like 5-5.5", or you have 10 inch rims. If you have 6.5" or so, you should be okay, but with the 10 inch wide rims, they may rub just a little. 8" is where they don't rub at all, under any circumstance. Now that's with a IFS front. This kit uses front springs off of 73-88 trucks. I figure that since the fenders aren't any different, 6 inches would be just a little to small, and there is no 7 inch front lift for your trucks. So 8 inches it is. The guys at ORU say that 8 inches allows about 35x14.5 to go without any rubbing. Up to 37x12.5 without any rubbing, but not any wider. I've seen a 88 IFS pickup that was converted similar. Dana 60 front, rear 14 bolt, 8 inches of lift, but he put on a Chevy 60 and swapped in a NP 205. He had 35x12.5R16.5's on 16.5x9.75's. They didn't look small at all. Made it look like he had just the right size tire. I don't want to trim anything, but don't want it looking like I have tiny donuts on. I'm thinking maybe 36x14's or so if I can find some for a 16" rim. Thanks.

1992 Blazer Sport, 350 TBI, 4L60, 3" Gibson, K&N, 3" Rancho, 285/75R16 on 16x8 Baja's

4. four50four

four50four Registered Member

Well, if you get an 8 inch lift kit, don't worry about fender rubbing at all. The ride will be VERY stiff, unless you use Nationals or some sort of custom springs. 8 inch's and 35's might look a little wierd. Check out the fender trimming article here on this site, that might be the way to go with a smaller, more flexible lift.

Keith

5. AJMBLAZER

It will be 6 inch springs up front because the axle gains you 2". In the rear I want to use the ORD 4" reverse shackles and 4" springs. I will have to talk to ORU about what kind of springs they use. Don't want it riding like a buckboard wagon after all. If you want to see what a 88-98 style Chevy looks like with that much lift, get a copy of the May 2000 issue of 4x4 Power. It has one in it, the one I described earlier. I think it will look fine.