Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Best Superswamper???

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by reddog64, Oct 18, 2001.

1. reddog64

reddog64 1/2 ton status

OK... they need to be 16 or 16.5 and i want atleast a 38 if nnot 39.5... I like the TSL but everyone's saying they wear really quickly... I cant buy tires every 6 months... what do you all recommend...

2. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

If you are worried about wear the don't buy Swampers!! Swamper uses a soft rubber and ALL of them wear quickly.
    I have heard that the Radial versions do last a touch longer if you keep the air pressure nice and even while on pavement.
    But a Swamper is perrty much toast on or before 30K....

72K5[​IMG]Led Zeppelin[​IMG]Rock ON![​IMG]
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/baja/5099>www.geocities.com/baja/5099</a>

3. kchecca

kchecca Registered Member

How much road riding are you doing? That's what will kill the swampers. I think the best trail swamper is probably the TSL/SX or Bogger. If you ride roads, the SSR is a great compromise. Either way, they wont last more than 25k-30k street miles.

--------------------------
    Keith C
    Bigbird '00 Jeep TJ
    Grandpa's '77 Blazer

4. reddog64

reddog64 1/2 ton status

it's not a daily driver by any means... but it can go get thee groceries... what's the difference between the tsl and the sx and the readials... they look the same...

5. 77Blazer

77Blazer 1/2 ton status

look at the sidewalls on the sx's :)

350, sm465, NP205, 14ff w/detroit, yucky ten bolt 4" springs,38.5x14.5 swampers
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.planettribes.com/theden/gontw/nsig.jpg>http://www.planettribes.com/theden/gontw/nsig.jpg</a>

6. RedDwarf

RedDwarf 1/2 ton status

There's a lot of difference in those three tires.
    The radials obviously have radial constrction. That means the plies and belts run around the cidcumference of the tire. This makes for a tire that rolls easier on a flat surface. Because of their construction, the tread wants to flex in an even plane. Not so good for wrapping around sharp trail obstacles. Their soft sidewalls flex well and make up for some of this.

Bias tires (TSL) have their plies going accross the tread. This makes the tread quite pliable, and it can wrap around rocks and stumps quite well. They do not want to roll quite as well on flat surfaces and the sidewalls are quite stiff.

SX is a bias belted tire. This is kind of a hybrid between the bias and the radial. Basically it is a bias tire with some radial belts added to try to gain some of the flat surface rolling ability of the radial. Unfortunately, this extra construction makes for a stiffer tire, so on the trail, you need a heavier vehicle and/or less air pressure to make this tire perform well.
    Most people think the sidewall treads look cool.
    These tires are heavy too. A 38x12.50 TSL weighs 72lbs. A 38x12.50 TSL/SX weighs 81lbs. That's an extra 9lbs on an already heavy tire.

The biggest TSL Radial or TSL/SX you can get currently is a 38". Same thing for 16" rim size. If you want 39.5", you have to go with the regular TSL.

Tires this large will last a good bit longer than most people think. You need to make sure you are not over inflating them as this is one of the leading causes of extra wear on larger tires. Make sure the whole tread width is in contact with the road by doing the chalk test.

I run about 16psi in my 38" TSL's.

Still Poundin' "pavment" after all these years!!! [​IMG]

7. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

you really need to change that pic...

-Zakk
    '77 K5 SB 400 TH350 NP203 p/t 6" Lift D60 14BFF 4.10's 36"Wrangler II's

[​IMG] CK5's MOAB 2002 OR BUST!! [​IMG]

8. ken

ken 1/2 ton status

I got 35,000 out of my 38x12.50x16.5 TSLs on the rear of my dually before removing them for 42"ers. Then, put the 38s on the wife's Suburban and ran them another 10,000 miles before removing. They still had a bit of tread left. So, 45,000 for a set of 38s. Also, my 42"ers have 18,000 on them and are still not down to the half-way tread bars. This is on the rear of a heavy-assed one ton dually pickup with a 9.5' Lance cabover camper.

ken

9. RedDwarf

RedDwarf 1/2 ton status

I asked several guys what kind of miloeage they got from their 38x12.50"s before I bought mine. They all told me about what you said, so the deal was sealed.

I think this size wears as good as any in the TSL lineup.

Still Poundin' "pavment" after all these years!!! [​IMG]