Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Best Synthetic Oil (and why)

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by guido666, Dec 1, 2005.

?

Which synthetic motor oil is best?

1. Valvoline SynPower

5.8%
  2. Mobil1

43.2%
  3. Castrol Syntec

8.9%
  4. Amsoil

21.8%
  5. Havoline

0.4%
  6. Royal Purple

14.4%
  7. RedLine

1.6%
  8. Other (please post and explain)

3.9%
  1. guido666

guido666 1/2 ton status

Who uses what synthetic oils, and why are they the best? Figure in cost to the equation.

2. Cornfield creations

Cornfield creations 1/2 ton status

I chose Pennzoil synthetic. I run this is EVERYTHING I own, have never ran anything else and will continue to run it. Owning and operating a speed lube sponsered by Pennzoil there are many things learned and seen in the oil industry. Pennzoil synthetic has a additive, which was developed by Pennzoil for NASA for the space shuttle. They made it for the hydraulic systems, since it is so cold in space you need something that holds up. The additives in it resist heat, cold, and dry starts, and has time released protection technology. Seeing many oils used (not naming any) there are some oils out there that go into an engine not as slick to the touch as pennzoil synthetic is when it comes out in used forms.

I could go on and on, but as for me this is the only synthetic I will ever use!

3. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

I chose Redline , because it still looks good when I remove my locker to inspect it . And because of the fact that my other 12 bolt has been sitting for almost a year with the cover off , and there is still a good coating of Redline on it , since it sticks to metal so well :D

4. colbystephens

colbystephens 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

i use mobil1, first b/c it is just a great oil, second it's the only one i've ever used, third it stays clean for it's whole service. i like to stick to one kind of motor oil b/c i don't like the idea of mixing additives with other brands.

probably the only synthetic i would never consider is Pennzoil. it may well be a good quality oil, i don't know, but i do know that at one time i had the misfortune of working for jiffy lube and have absolutely no respect for that company. pennzoil owns jiffy lube, and therefore, in my opinion, jiffy lube represents pennzoil. since there is not a single ounce of quality or anything good about jiffy lube, and pennzoil doesn't do anything about it, i can't really respect pennzoil - at least as a company. i tend to place a lot of value on the quality of the company when it comes to products. it's like schucks - i've rarely ever had good service from them and even if they might have the lowest price on something, the chances of me going in there are little to none. just my .02.

colby stephens.

5. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

All the oils you listed are good. The really important thing you must remember is to pick one and never use anything different. Changing oil brands will have a negative effect. I use Honda oil. It is semisynthetic and it is cheap for me. It is made by mobil.

6. guido666

guido666 1/2 ton status

Why will it have a negative effect?

7. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

always used mobil1, always been very happy...so why change?

8. colbystephens

from what i understand, the cleaning agents will fight eachother and your gaskets may get in the middle of that rumble, if you will. i suppose that might even be the same concept concerning friction modifiers. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Colbystephens.

9. guido666

guido666 1/2 ton status

So could you run a change of natural oil in between to help flush it out?

Because not knowing that was a problem, I had been running Valvoline DuraBlend, and just did an oil change with Castrol Syntec (it was on sale for $3.50/qt!!).

10. colbystephens

i would avoid going back to a regular oil - i've heard worse problems about going back to standard from synthetic b/c the cleaning agents are often stronger. I would say you probably don't have anything to worry about - just try and stick with one oil. You will probably not see any problems from doing the change once. Maybe you'd see the effect if you regularly did the change for a long time - but then what's your standard by which to compare? In anycase, i'd say leave it. If you really were concerned, you could get engine flush additives, but make sure its not the kind with kerosine - as this has the potential to dry out seals. Again tho - i wouldn't worry about it. i've heard great things about castrol - so just stick with that from now on.

colbystephens.

11. dallassmith

dallassmith 1/2 ton status

Amsoil
    long service life....can do oil testing on your oil to see whats happening to it.

offer an engine flush when you switch oils

best oil filters

12. 78Suburban

78Suburban 1/2 ton status

I always see tons of debate on these oil posts, but not any hard proof, or real world examples. I personally don't have a clue what is best to run. I'm getting 350 to drop into my burb this weekend, and I thought about switching to synthetic. Would that have any negative detriments, other than to my wallet? I may just stick with natural, because its cheap.

13. dallassmith

dallassmith 1/2 ton status

I have run about 24k on one oil change...but that is with a filter change at 12k and then adding a qt. I have not had a problem with anything.

I run it in every thing that takes fluid. I find that it runs cooler than most oils.

Just depends on if you want to spend the money $5-8 a qt for syn and have it last for awhile, or spend less money and change it more often to end up spending more money than it would have cost to run syn.

:dunno: :dunno:

14. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

Sorry to interject, but most of the suggestions I'm seeing are based on "I heard" or "from what I understand". There's a lot of crap flying around out there today, and most of it is misinformed and biased. I would prefer to base my opinions on evidence and reasearch, not hearsay and assumptions.......

Click HERE for an indepth look at what oil is and how it works.

Click HERE for a comparison study. It's on the Amsoil site, but it was actually done by an Australian performance car mag.

HERE is another link I found. It's on the Amsoil website as well, so keep that in mind.

Anyhow, click away, brothers.......

15. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

Using Mobil 1 right now.

click-click-clicky-click

16. CyberSniper

CyberSniper 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I run Castrol GTX, Castrol Syntec, and Mobil 1. It all depends on the weather conditions, the intended use of the motor, and the kind of life expectancy I anticipate relating to contamination.

I won't run Pennzoil, Quaker State, or Havoline.

17. Cornfield creations

Cornfield creations 1/2 ton status

I always find it funny how people never really consider what the drag racers run. They have the most extreme conditions, and I would think that they would have a pretty good idea what is the best, especially those who do it as a hobby without being sponsored and have to make their engine last longer.

18. erik59

erik59 Registered Member

Don't most drag racers tear down their motor after every few runs or so to check engine internals? I doubt that the oil that they use ever has more than 10 min use.
    I have used amsoil with great result as a motor oil, but like Redline as gear oils. Redline shifts like butter. Had a truck that burnt about a half a quart of oil every 3k miles and switched to amsoil and haven't burnt a drop since. Just changed the filter like they said. It costs more, but it is just so much better than dino oil. Why do you think that corvettes, and an increasing number of high performance cars come from the factory with Mobil 1 syn.

19. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I used to run Mobil 1 in my BBC street/strip motor in my camaro. Then i found some tests where they came in almost last, and the top three i believe were amsoil, redline, and kendal...
    So i switched to Amsoil in my big block.
    For my k5's small block i'm still running mobil 1 right now though..

20. 4by4bygod

4by4bygod 1/2 ton status

click here to read what Popular Hot Rodding had to say about Quantum Blue Motor Oil. The paragraph called "lube considerations" tells the tale.

Noted automotive author David Vizard says it beats mobil one for anti wear, and you can call the folks at BND ( or visit their website ) to learn more. shear / viscosity stable to 6,000 degrees, wear and friction cut in half. they'll also blend you gear lubes and tranny fluids with the same technology, per your application.

On a personal note, my 87 K5 qualified for a warranty from titan labs, based on it's oil analysis looking so good. they would have paid me a thousand bucks to fix it if any covered part died from a lack of lubrication. In addition, my dad's C5's piston slap went away after using quantum blue. every vehicle in the family has run it for a few years now. my 92 uses the 5w30, so I get better mileage, without worrying about film strength.

Anyway, check 'em out,

Tom