Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Best Tire? How are the SX?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by TXsizeK5, Apr 23, 2002.

1. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

Whats a tire thats good on wear that does fairly well in mud but also good in sand? I'm probably going to buy a set of tires before the summer. Thanks.

2. BowtieBlazer

BowtieBlazer 1/2 ton status

Re: Best Tire?

I thought you had just stepped up to 35's? I doubt BFG's only lasted that long. Then again with 4.11's and the SM that could = some major tire roasting.

3. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

87 Custom Deluxe
    305/Sm465/ NP208
    4.56 , 6"susp, 35" BFG Muds, CatCo Cat &amp; Series 40 delta flow 3" tips.

<hr></blockquote>

.......I'd have to say BFG Muds or a similar clone. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

and my mickey baja belteds. Wore well, did awesome in sand, sucked on the rocks and adequate in mud. Pricey though.

4. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

I have 4.56 lol... naw the 35"s came with my truck when I bought it about 8-10months ago so they are pretty worn.
    I saw 37x12.50/15 MTRs for 210 at discount tire... thats one hell of a deal so when i come across like 840 bucks I'll probably get those.... with a 6" lift how much should I cut? Should I also go with like a 1 in body lift? Thanks.

5. BowtieBlazer

BowtieBlazer 1/2 ton status

6. Derf00

Derf00 1/2 ton status

I have a 6" all spring BDS lift w/37x12.5x16 SSR's. They could be run on the street without any fender trimming, but with any amount of flex and they would hit the back of the front fenderwells. I trimmed the front fenders back to 7.5" from the door and so far I have not rubbed or hit the tires. I did not have to trim the rear fenderwell, but they are close.

7. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Discount tire has the 37" MTR's on there website for $175, might ask the store WTF? $175 is alot better then $210. Unless $210 is with all the warranty, mounting &amp; balancing, etc. included.

8. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

comes with mounting, lifetime balance, warranty , rotation, flat repair. 210 per tire.

9. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Thats not bad then. I love Discounts warranty too. I have them on my BFG's and if the go flat, they replace the tire for free. (assuming the tire can't be repaired, which mine never can) All you have to pay for is mount&amp; balance&amp; warranty. Last time in discount I had two tires replaced for a total of $52. So I got 2 new BFG's for $52. Can't beat that.

10. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

how are the TSL/SX on the road? Do they have bad road manners? Develop flat spots? Loud? Wander alot? thanks.

11. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Do they have bad road manners? Develop flat spots? Loud? Wander alot? thanks.

<hr></blockquote>

Yes.../forums/images/icons/smile.gif

Rene

12. FWP

FWP CRS

In reply to:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Do they have bad road manners? Develop flat spots? Loud? Wander alot? thanks.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yes...

Rene

<hr></blockquote>

LOL.... How many street miles have you put on the SX's? just curious. Most of the cool trails are at least 60 miles from my house, I am dreading swapping tires every other time I want to go wheeling.

13. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

None...I have TSL's and I've 'heard' the SX's are a little worse for street manners. I need tires badly and will prolly go with TSL's again...I like the SX but want to go bigger than the 38.5.

The reality is any bias swamper is not going to be a smooth riding, corner hugging, quiet tire that lasts forever. My TSL's drown out my exhaust on the freeway, tend to follow ruts in the road and flat spot when they're cold. They're also the only tire for me when I hit the trail...even bald they seem to dig harder than any other tire I've had.

Rene

14. Heavymetal

Heavymetal 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I have the 35x15.5x16.5 TSL/SX's and they rock off-road. The on road I could do with out. They make me want to drive to the trail on my all-terrains, carrying the SX's in the back then swap at the trail.

15. FWP

FWP CRS

That's exactly why I am going to run a set of SX's on the trail. I'm sick of damaging cheap ass street tires, made for that "comefy ride'/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif. I'm going to run a set of M/T's or A/T's on the road, and swap to the SXs on the trail. Can't afford a tow vehicle and trailer at the moment....