Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Best tire pressure for sand????

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by dynoram, Jun 22, 2004.

1. dynoram

dynoram Registered Member

Hey all ! well this weekend im going wheeling at a local beach. I have pro comp 32*11.5 mud terrain tires. I hope these things work in the sand the way they do in the mud /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif. but what tire pressure do you think i should try running em with.???

2. bigyellowjimmy

bigyellowjimmy 1/2 ton status

about 15 psi

/forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

3. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

As low as possible without blowing a bead. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif It will depend on your rim width, but just air them down until you get a nice healthy bulge in the sidewall at the ground. The idea is to increase the contact patch so the tire floats.

4. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Shaggy summed it up.
    Sand?
    If they're 16.5 rims, go like 20psi.
    If they're 15's or 16's try about 10psi and that will make a big difference in traction out in the sand.. /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

I run my 35x 12.50x 15 mud terrains on 15x10 rims at 8psi in the sand. Never blown a bead.

5. JK5

JK5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I used to go to the dunes in Northern Michigan..
    Changing tire pressure didn't change traction much..

Get ready for some outside tread..wear!!
    I used to round my tires..

Have Fun!!! Get some AIR!!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. kombi59

kombi59 1/2 ton status

Hey man I run 8 lbs in the rear 9 or 10 in the front we go to the sand dunes in yuma almost every weekend and this works best for my set-up. smooth ride lots of traction. have'nt popped a bead yet in sand, but have spun the tire on the rim. right out of balance. good luck.

7. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe Michigan dunes are different. I notice quite a difference in the sand with low pressure.
    I always see people drive down onto the sand at pismo oceano dunes with like 35psi in their tires, even in 4wd they'll start getting stuck and just bury the truck down to the axles. If they stop as soon as they start getting stuck and not going anywhere... and air the tires down to about 14psi the truck pops right out of the hole it just dug itself into. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Have Fun!!! Get some AIR!!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
    And take some pics!...and then get ready to fix some broken chit!! /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif
    /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

8. JK5

LOL...I was only running 33" BFG MT's

Nice shots!!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. Klef72K5

Klef72K5 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I go to Silver Lake, Michigan and I watch people all the time TRY to climb hills without airing down. They end up burried to there axles.

I run my BFG Mudders at 8 psi on soft sand and 12-15 psi on wet. I run higher psi on wet to keep from spinning the rim or busting the bead (I busted the bead only once running at 8 psi on wet sand....sucks!

10. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

up at silver lake i run at 10 psi on the 265/75/16s. the tire looks completely flat, i wouldn't wanna run any lower with these tires. i got great traction you must air down for sand, you will get stuck. i dont think there much difference in traction between 8-12.

my friend on his toyota pickup ran 4 and kept getting stuck, he aired down to 2 and was better so he went down to 1 and did great till he lost a bead and almost rolled his truck.

hopefully i can go up there on the 4th and be a little taller and bigger/wider tires /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

11. rcurrier44

rcurrier44 1/2 ton status

I run 2-3 psi rear and 4-5 psi front...but I am running 44's so you are gonig to want to go higher than that.

12. JK5

[ QUOTE ]
    I go to Silver Lake, Michigan and I watch people all the time TRY to climb hills without airing down. They end up burried to there axles.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hummm...maybe that was my problem...
    Years ago...I was affraid to go below 15 lbs...

13. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

[ QUOTE ]
    I always see people drive down onto the sand at pismo oceano dunes with like 35psi in their tires, even in 4wd they'll start getting stuck and just bury the truck down to the axles. If they stop as soon as they start getting stuck and not going anywhere... and air the tires down to about 14psi the truck pops right out of the hole it just dug itself into.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ditto. I used to always see this when we used to go to the Outer Banks.

Then last summer at Sand Dunes Nat'l Monument I saw people doing the same thing. Tearing up the trail. Had to get out and make about 5 trucks air down. Mostly guys in new SUV's with the A/C on of course.

14. exrider

exrider Registered Member

When I going duning in Glamis, we run about 15lbs, give or take a few. Hugh difference especially with a full trailer and back of the truck loaded. More contact patch better = better traction, more air = get a shovel and tow truck.

Red Riders Rule !! /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

15. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Just take the cores out. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif