Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

best tire pressure?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Chris Demartini, Dec 31, 2000.

1. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

<font color=blue>I aired down my 35x12.5x15 Swamper Radials yesterday to play in the snow before the plows got to it, and now it's time to fill them back up. Whats the best pressure to run them at for tire mileage? I've heard of some people running them low for a better ride, but I dont want to wear these things out too fast. Thanks!</font color=blue>

[​IMG]

2. backlash

backlash 1/2 ton status

You need to go with the manufacturers recommendations. I've run 5 different sets of tires on mine. Some recommend max. 35 and some as high as 50psi. Too low the tire wears on the outsides(bows up in the middle) ... too high will wear in the middle. Not sure about letting air out in the snow seems will cause the sidewall to flex too much. I deffinately let it out for driving on sand. Will help you float over the sand and reduce strain on engine and tranny.

3. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Best tire pressure varies from vehicle to vehicle. It depends on tire size and weight of the truck. Grab some chalk and mark across the tread of the tire, then roll the truck and have a look at whats left of the chalk, if only the center of the tread is clean of chalk you have too much air, if only the outside edges are cleaned off you need more air. You will probably find the air pressure for front and rear will be different.
    A wider tire will require less pressure to support the truck than a narrower tire. If you had 30x9.5's you might need 35 PSI in the tire, however if you have 35x15.5's you'd likely only need 24 PSI or so.
    My 35's are run at 32 psi up front and 29 in the rear.
    The specs on the sidewall are "maximum pressure" not recommended pressure.

Rene

[​IMG]

4. nyyef

nyyef 1/2 ton status

on the road i run 30-32 all around. in the sand dunes i run 10-15 depending on the situation. oh, i have 33"X12.50X15s.

Knife.
    knife.coloradok5.com