Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Best tire size with 3.73s and a 700r4?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Rootbeer, Nov 18, 2002.

1. Rootbeer

Rootbeer Registered Member

Just ran my rpo codes and found I have a 3.73 posi rear and a 700r4 in my 1990 k5. The power seems fine with my 33x12.5 BFG MTs, but I wanted to run it by the gurus here to see if that is a reasonable size so I dont cook my 700r4.

Anyone in the bay area, california, have a sawzall I can borrow to hack my fenders, or a used lift to sell me? I get just a bit of rub at turn on suspension compression.

-Mike

2. georgiared84

georgiared84 1/2 ton status

I've currently got 33's and 3.08's behind a 700r4.Not much power cruisin, so I did the math to see what I needed for mine to have some decent performance as well as the right rpm's at 65 in O.D. and came up with about 3.73 gears. That's what I'm planning to go to when I get my axles all done and ready for the 1 ton conversion.

3. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

I got 3.73's and 33's ..It's alot better than the 3.08's I used to run /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. wrathORC

wrathORC 1/2 ton status

I'm aiming for 3.73 or 4.10.. pending on which I find first. I'm running 2.73s, a 700R4, and 33s right now. Yeah, I don't use overdrive. It's just a useless notch between reverse and drive. haha.

I have a 14FF with 3.73s which I plan to run since in the winter I run 235x75r15s. If I find a pair of 4.11s first then I'll be going that route.

5. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

if it was my truck, i would put a nice trans cooler on t and run 36ish tires on it. also make sure ya beef the motor up just a bit to help out.
    Grant

6. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

It'll dog somewhat on big hills, but it's pretty good all around setup. That's what I run.

BTW, do a search, this was discussed not too long ago and there's some quality info there, though I believe we talked about 35s".

7. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

I'd do anything from 31-33 depending on what you want

8. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

If your buying new tires, buy cheaper tires and regear /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif
    I've got 3.08's and 32's and cruise 65-70 about 650 miles a week /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif No problems yet (can't hit the 85-90 marker though /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

9. MilpitasK5

MilpitasK5 1/2 ton status

I'm running the exact same set up as you and I think it's fine. I've also been told that the set up is ideal. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    I usually stay out of OD on hilly areas and in town to keep the tranny from searching for the right gear. That advise was just given to me not too long ago.

You should check out the NorCal Bigdawgs forum. There are a bunch of us that are in the area.

BTW - I think Red Chevy Girl is selling a 4" lift. She's in the modesto area I think. If not, post a message in the wanted forum and you should find one.

10. efilnikufecin

efilnikufecin 1/2 ton status

33's max.i was just running that set up and 3.73's is barely enough for 33's.i went to 35's and it was terrible.now i have 4.56's and i could have probably got away with running 4.88's.33's won't be too bad but i think you would end up hurting the tranny with 35's.

11. MilpitasK5

Oh yeah. I also have a sawzall that you can use to cut if you wanna come down to the Milpitas area some time. I hear that a die grinder works better though.

12. hawglet

hawglet 1/2 ton status

My '84 has 33"s on it with a 700r4 and 3.73 in a 10 bolt with a loc-right locker. I have never had a problem with the tranny but I did blow up the rear end before I put the loc-right in at a stop light rolling them over. Pretty cool until the big bang towards the back. Oops, exploded the carrier, ring, and the spider pin, and chipped the pinion. I put the locker in it cause it was cheaper than a "new" carrier and I have a thing about used stuff for some reason. Had to replaceall bearings as well as ring and pinion, if the local shop would have had 4.11 's in stock I would have went with them. AnywayI drive the 700 very hard and have never had any problem with that set-up concerning anything mechanical without the influence of either stupidity or beer or both(usually stupidity comes after excessive beer.

13. Rootbeer

Rootbeer Registered Member

I couldn't find a web site for the nor-cal big dawgs, but I did for the so-cal. Ive just noticed I cant post on nor-cal big dawgs forum though /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif I think Im fine with my 33s but wont go up to the 35s I was considering, So I have a pair(2)35s in my garage I would part with for $50 but wont ship.

Thanks,
    Mike - '90/forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

14. MilpitasK5

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    I couldn't find a web site for the nor-cal big dawgs, but I did for the so-cal. Ive just noticed I cant post on nor-cal big dawgs forum though

[/ QUOTE ]

The Nor-Cal Big Dawgs forum is right under the So-Cal Big Dawgs forum. In order to post, you need to pay the CK5 membership. ($25). It's worth it!! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Did you find that lift or send Red Chevy Girl a PM to see if she still has it?

You can probably get rid of those tires in the sale forum. I'm not going any bigger than 33's until I have enough $$ to do a 3/4 ton swap. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

15. Chris_T

Chris_T 1/2 ton status

My sentiments exactly. 3.73s with 35's was ok, if a bit sluggish, but after the 700 and the 4.56s it's a new truck.

I'd say 33s