Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

best tire size

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by sapper, Jul 27, 2001.

1. sapper

sapper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

i have read and heard alot about this but i want to know from the duty experts what is the best tire size for trails and how much lift is needed for them to flex enough?

Engineers up!

2. MaxCrack

MaxCrack 1/2 ton status

I think a good deal of that is personal preference and the size of your wallet.

That's because I'm the devil.

3. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

It also depends a lot on your gear ratios and how much power your motor puts out. Depending on how high you go there's also the issues of extended brake lines, longer shocks, fender trimming and driveshaft angle adjustments(I'm probably missing a whole bunch of things too). Basically, like Maxcrack said, it also depends on how much time and money you want to put into the job. The plan for my 84 is to eventually get 4" of lift and 35s. Of course, I'm going to have to wait until I can afford to buy my wife a new car because I can't see her having any fun getting a car seat in and out of a truck that high[​IMG]...............

<font color=red>PHOTO ALBUM-</font color=red> <a target="_blank" href=http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumList?u=1289798>http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumList?u=1289798</a>.......<font color=blue>TRUCK & HIKING PICS</font color=blue>

4. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

personal preference it is!. I have 4" suspension, 3" body, and normally run 35's however the truck doesnt go off road, never been,,,, so tell me again why my paycheck is going to this truck?? OH I remember --cause a chick and her truck is a wonderful thing !!!

1986 K5 4" skyjacker suspension 3 " body, 14 bolt rear, dana 44 front, TIRED ol 305

5. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

4+3 with 35s looks silly when 38s will fit with no trimming.

Best tire size? Well, if you've got gears and motor, the bigger, the better, unless you plan to drive it a lot, where 36-38" is my limit.

Tim
    '84 Chevy K10, lifted, loud, fast, and 3/4 ton axles

6. solowookie

solowookie 1/2 ton status

I got a 4" BDS lift with 35's, and I love it. However, my next set of tires will be ssr's 37x12.5x16.

[​IMG] <font color=blue> Jeff </font color=blue> [​IMG]

7. sapper

sapper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

im still a long way from tires still working on getting a 14 but my question should of been are 37s needed for trails or do 35s work good?

We are surronded. That simplifies our problem.

8. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

It depends on the trails your going to be frequenting!

I pay ya to work it not jerk it![​IMG]
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.nashvillek5.freeservers.com>www.nashvillek5.freeservers.com</a>

9. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I've got 36" TSL's right now and find they are fine for most everything I wheel. Of course that being said my next tire will be a set of 38.5x14.5 TSL/SX's...with 5" of lift and a bit more trimming I suppose. [​IMG]

Rene

<font color=green>Dyslexics of the world...UNTIE!</font color=green>

10. bigk

bigk 1/2 ton status

I've figured out the perfect way to establish the exact tire size I need. First time I get a chance I'll measure the distance from the ground to the rear axle of the average farm tractor and I'll need a tire that will get me through any rut they can dig. That's the usual limit I run into around here.

Karl
    Temporarily Unemployed Underwear Model
    87 3/4 ton

11. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

i dont know about you but where i come from if i did that i would need 44's. not that i would mind. but my wallet would
    4wheel and off road says 37's are the "best" all round tire. but i dont feel that way. i am going 2 inch body and 6 suspension with 39.5's or 40's. just me though....

1974 Chevy Blazer Cheyanne. lots of plans for it....
    but it is on 33's now, with saggy old springs. i am in so cali if ya got any parts for me.