Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Best tires for snow?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by blackdog, Aug 18, 2001.

1. blackdog

blackdog Registered Member

<font color=black>OK, just thinking ahead to this winter, which is about the time I'll have the money for new rubber, what's the consensus on the best tires for snow? I've seen a lot of references to keeping them narrower (10.5 vs. 12 for example) but what about tread type. Would something like BFG Mud terrains fit the bill? Or maybe MT's with lots of sidewall bite? I live on a back road with one of the only freakin' hills for about 25 miles. This is the only way in or out, and it sucks getting stranded when it's covered with snow. Even 4x4's have trouble with it sometimes. Just trying to get every possible advantage, you know?

Oh, and in snow and ice do you still want to keep the tire pressure low for traction, or is it the other way around?

<font color=black> "Where did all these people come from, and how soon can they leave..."
    -OLD 97's</font color=black>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.k5.batcave.net>www.k5.batcave.net</a>

2. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

any mud type tire will do ok in the snow (ok any good mud type tire lol) i have seen bfg mudterrains do very well in the snow so do swampers my preferance in the snow is to have a wider tire like a 12.5 rather than a 10 so that it will stay ontop of the snow and yes lower air pressure in the snow is better than higher air pressure

wheeling videoshttp://community.webshots.com/user/ssmith6333

3. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

I personally like the Goodyear MTRs for all around traction. They hold up really well. I can vouch for that. When I rolled my truck two off them came off the bead, and one of them was rapped around my front suspension and they both beaded right back up. You want to keep the pressure up. Lowering the press with make it wider. You want narrower so you can break the first layer of ice.

86 Blazer 4"lift 35" MTRs locked front, still 1/2 ton axles.Other vehicles 69 Firebird with 525 hp,and a 70 GTO www.geocities.com/modifierperformance

4. LA Bogger

LA Bogger 1/2 ton status

When I was station in Iceland everybody ran FunCountries Dick Cepeks expensive. 33X14.5 or 36.5x16.5 I ran the 36's air down in the snow was great. The TSL I had were decent but when they couldn't chew to the ground all you did was spin..

Eat More Mud!!!

DREAMING OF A BIG BLOCK!!!!

5. bigblue

bigblue 1/2 ton status

Man you are already thinking about the snow? Me too. I will take cold weather any day over hot! Can't wait for the snowboarding...

Surfing is Life...

6. coopertwpk

coopertwpk 1/2 ton status

remember if you dig through the snow you hit ice and sipes help on ice my ATkos did great in snow and ice but im thinking of siping a set of mts to see how they do .

88k5 silverado w4"lift <font color=orange>d44 and corp14ff</font color=orange> with 4.56s

7. fr8train

fr8train 1/2 ton status

Lat winter my 31x10.5x15 BFG AT KOs really did well for overall performance. They got me thru all the slush that was on thre ground and the only problem that I had was going up a 15% grade. Tell me one tire that could have gotten up that kinda of grade in slush at 10 mph. I did a fender check with a guard rail and just waited for a plow to clear off the road. That was stupidity on my part for taking the back road home in a slush storm.

8. solowookie

solowookie 1/2 ton status

first of all are you actually talking snow, or are we talking ice, or a combination of the 2???

ice, the more sipes the better and the pro comp at is extreme weather rated... actually here any decent tire studded...

snow??? mud tires clean the snow real well, but the are terrible on ice...

a good in between??? personally I'm running BFG AT ko's on Jedi Mind Trick with is my on-road k5, and I live in WY so I'm going to see a good combination of both!

<font color=blue> Jeff - may the force be with you</font color=blue>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Jeffs-Stuff>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Jeffs-Stuff</a>

9. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

General Grabber AP's are flat awesome for snow and ice - not the most aggressive tread (closer to least aggressive) you can get, but extremely effective, with lots of siping.

Dos mas Tecates!!!
    <a target="_blank" href=http://pugsley.alloffroad.com>pugsley.alloffroad.com</a>

10. blackdog

blackdog Registered Member

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

...I had was going up a 15% grade. Tell me one tire that could have gotten up that kinda of grade in slush at 10 mph.

<hr></blockquote><font color=black>Actually, the grade here is probably a little steeper. You get used to making sure you have enough supplies to last a few days if you get a big storm (private road: county doesn't really plow unless you give the plow guy a pizza or something [​IMG] ). I'll probably do the BFG Mud Terrains.

BTW, I heard that during the blizzard of '96, before I moved here, the only way to get out was a guy with a Chevy truck with 44" Super Swampers on it who played snow taxi for everyone on the road. About 11" more than I had in mind, but pretty cool just the same.

<font color=black> "Where did all these people come from, and how soon can they leave..."
    -OLD 97's</font color=black>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.k5.batcave.net>www.k5.batcave.net</a>

11. RedDwarf

RedDwarf 1/2 ton status

I have to agree, the General AP's are good in wet stuff (okay, we don't have any snow here, but they're good in rain and wet dirt/light mud)

I would think this is another one of those "it depends" questions, but my final vote is going to go with Swampers with siping in the center.

My reasoning is that you mentioned that 4x4's even can have trouble on your road so it sounds like you need an extreme purpose-type tire.

But really, any soft compound tire should work well, esp with added siping. And yes, lower your tire pressure, most wheeling can be improved with lower pressures.

Lift It, Lock It, LIVE IT!!!

12. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

I used the AP's for several winters' worth of playing in the mountains, and loved them. The only time they ever gave me trouble was when summer rolled around, and it was time to play in the sand - the tiniest things would put holes in the tread (barbed wire for example).

Dos mas Tecates!!!
    <a target="_blank" href=http://pugsley.alloffroad.com>pugsley.alloffroad.com</a>

13. JimmyJuneau

JimmyJuneau 1/2 ton status

I Had some Marshal Powerguard mts and they were perfect for an alaskan winter and summer I havent got stuck yet and they worked pretty good in the snow and ice.

1985 GMC JIMMY

14. morphed86k10

morphed86k10 1/2 ton status

My set of BFG mud terrains did pretty well in snow. But they are really terrible in ice. TERRIBLE!! It's not a fault of the tire, mud tires just suck on ice. For a nice compromise of deep snow and ice capability I'd get some pro comp muds, (which are siped a bit from the factory) and screw some studs into them. That way you get a tire that can move some snow but also grab the ice.

15. scrapmetal

scrapmetal 1/2 ton status

SUPER SWAMPERS SIPED GOOD, SNOW FUN,,,SUPER SWAMPERS BALD, SNOW BAD,,

Never been stuck, just temporarily delayed.
    <a target="_blank" href=http://hometown.aol.com/bcscrapper/myhomepage/index.html>hometown.aol.com/bcscrapper/myhomepage/index.html</a>

16. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

I'm running Dueler ATs and as you can see in my photo album below(snow pics), I didn't have any trouble negotiating 28" of the white stuff...........

<font color=red>PHOTO ALBUM-</font color=red> <a target="_blank" href=http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumList?u=1289798>http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumList?u=1289798</a>.......<font color=blue>TRUCK & HIKING PICS</font color=blue>

17. Brian 89KBlazer

Brian 89KBlazer 1/2 ton status

I'll say one thing to start off: "Nothing sticks to ice"!!!! [​IMG] Sorry to Michelin, Goodyear, BFG &amp; anyone else who'd like to think they do but rubber doesn't stick to ice!! Sure some compounds of rubber do better than others but none stick! Now that that is out of the way; my advice is to get a mud tire which will do better in deep snow than an all-terrain &amp; have awesome off-road capability when the snow goes. I took a "sorta compromise" &amp; bought Super Swamper SSR's! Mud tire with some siping! [​IMG][​IMG]

Good Luck

Brian
    89KBlazer

Build it Right or Don't build it at all!!

18. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

Does any tire really do much on ice... HECK NO! Unless you have chains or studs most tiire are helpless on ice.

I got Pro Comp MT's because of the sipping so we will see how they do. The sipping usually is more for wet pavement and water I believe. I think when you are in snow though they will get kinda clogged up.

-Mikey
    1987 Chevy K5 Blazer- 350 TBI
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/captcrunch>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/captcrunch</a>

19. TwoCrowsDesign

TwoCrowsDesign 1/2 ton status

You're probably right about the aggressive sidewall. Snow ain't so bad, its the ice that sucks and siping is about all that helps on ice.

John

20. J.C.Staley

J.C.Staley Registered Member

My 2 cents worth. I spend a lot of time in the snow between Northern Utah and Western Wyoming. The past 2 years I've been running Kelly Safaris in 33x9.5x15 and have been impressed so far. One trip to Wyo. we were cutting drifted roads and I like the narrow tires because the actually cut through the drifts. I've seen too many guys detained by running wider tires that carried them on top of the drifts but only so far. When they broke through they were suddenly resting on the snow with the tires touching nothing solid. I prefer contact with solid ground as much as possible. I'm getting old enough that shovel time is not as much fun as it used to be.