Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Best Top soft top K5

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by AndreasL, Jan 21, 2002.

1. AndreasL

AndreasL Newbie

Hi guys,
    somebody offered a BESTTOP softtop for the K5 to me for a real good price. I' read the reports on the CANBACK and KAYLINE softtops in the "product review" section, but couldn't find any comments on the BESTTOP products. Any comment is highly welcome, I just don't want to spend my bucks on a top I can't evaluate...
    Thanks!

2. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

So what was the real good price and is it brand new or used also did you check the prices of these tops brand new. I think Kayline ( which is called specialtytopco.com now) is the cheapest then best top and canback is definately the most expensive. So I guess it depends on how much you want to spend.

<font color=blue> I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy!

3. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

Been there. I'm running a Bestop and I like it. I'll try and fill you in on any of the bad things that I ran into.

1: The biggie. You have to drill a LOT of holes into your blazer. and I mean ALOT. There are no rails that it attaches too, just the body.
    2: Did I mention you have to drill alot of holes.

Those are the ONLY bad things I can say about it. The good things are that you can get them pretty dang cheap and they (at least mine) seal up pretty nice. I don't have any leaks with mine and I couldn't tell a heating difference with it in the winter as opposed to the hard top. It is a little louder, but not painfully so. My truck would be quieter if I'd just put an interior back in it. My truck drives differently with the softop, the backend is a LOT lighter and threfore bumps in the road feel a little different.

HTH, if you have any other questions or want to see pics, let me know.

Heck, maybe I can get with Steve and get him to put something up comparing all the tops.

Kyle
    89K5

4. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

there 54 snaps that have to be drilled into the body for the besttop, not to mention 2 brackets and 2 other hook things. I have one in my garage still in the box I will be on installing when it gets warmer.

5. juanblzer

juanblzer 1/2 ton status

Never had a softtop and I will never buy a Besttop.
    Reason: My buddy had a 64 Willys CJ5 and he owned a Bestop top for it. It was the biggest piece of ________. The zippers fell apart within 5 months. The windows cracked within a year and it leaked. He actually was given a second top for all his trouble (from Besttop) and he had the same problems. He sold his CJ5 and the top last year. He vowed never to buy a Besttop product ever again. He said that Kayline or anyone else for that matter would be getting his business.
    But what do I know? Maybe Besttop is great now and maybe they fired all the "customer service" personnel that gave my buddy such a hassle trying to get a replacement for his troublesome top. Perhaps Besttop has made such drastic improvements in the last year that everyone should own one of their products.
    That's just my two cents. I rode along in his CJ5 often and that top sucked. It leaked and all the zippers were fubared. Ah, but what do I know?
    Juan PRescott Valley, AZ

chrome sucks
    about chrome: "I didn't know it was possible for something to both suck and blow"

6. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

dang, hate to hear all that. I couldn't be happier with customer service. When I got my top, I was talking with them and they weren't sure it would fit my truck, they really didn't have anyone on staff that knew that the 89 blazers were the same as the 87. After I got it all put on I called them back and told them it worked. They told that that was great and they were hoping it would, they were VERY concearned about how well it fit and if I was happy. Basically said that they would fix my truck back to original if I didn't like it.

That's killer customer service.

Kyle
    89K5

7. AndreasL

AndreasL Newbie

Geez, reactions are quite different!
    First of all, thanks to all for the comments, I appreciate that! Second, though I'm working in the US right now (Illinois, til mid March) my truck is in Germany (it's an ex-army CUCV M 1009).

The besttop was offered in Germany for Euro 500 (approx. $ 450), it's brand new and still in the box. I feel tempted now, even without customer service, for the prize is good!
    Speaking about holes (and I understand, a lot of holes...): are they in the railing or really in the outer sheetmetal of the truck? I mean, will there be hole visible if I should decide to go back to the hardtop one day?
    How long does the "transformation" take, and can it be done by dummies like myself?
    Thanks again!
    Andreas

8. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

There are holes on the outside. They are visible. I've got my hardtop on right now and there are studs running all down the side of my truck.

That was the only downside to the top, but they can be welded back up if you decide to never run that top again. IT doesn't bother me at all, I plan on running these things for a while.

It took me a couple of hours, well, several to do the install, but I was taking a LOT of pictures while I did it. I've got an HTML doc that I can email you that outlines how to do it if you want. One thing you FOR SURE want to do is install it in the sunlight on a warm day, this will help stretch everything out and ensure a tight fit.

HTH, if you have any ?'s, let me know

Kyle
    89K5