Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

"BEST" torque convertor for the ORD doubler??

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by keith, Feb 22, 2004.

1. keith

keith 1/2 ton status

\"BEST\" torque convertor for the ORD doubler??

Which convertor works best with the doubler. I thinking stall here. I will probably order a Jet convertor just wondering which one. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

2. SCOOBYDANNN

SCOOBYDANNN 1/2 ton status

Re: \"BEST\" torque convertor for the ORD doubler??

I was told a "stock" rpm stall would be fine but if you can get a "rv" type stall that would be beter (as per the rpm's would be lower.)

3. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Did you ask on the ORD forum?

4. marv_springer

marv_springer 1/2 ton status

Keith,

Rob installed a "diesel" converter when he did his Doubler, and this along with his strong idle, FI, 4.10 gears makes it so he's on the brakes /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif just about idling over anything.

I think... within reason... that you could modify your driving technique to make anything work well from the diesel all the way up to about 2200 stall.
    /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif
    Marv

5. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I am running the poor mans doubler in my truck. 700R4/208/4/56's. I am just as low as people with the doubler and 4.10's. I run FI and have very good idle and off idle torque.

When I had my 700R4 built I had a low stall put in. I stall at 1400. When the TC locks at 1400 it drops the RPM to 1200. I have not had any problems with it yet but havn't crawled it enough to know.

I am not sure I would go with much lower stall on a DD. The TC might lock at idle RPM and you would have to pop the trans into neutral to stop. I heard Rob has to do this sometimes because of his very low stall. My FI idles at 600 RPM so you might be able to run a 800-1000 stall converter and not have to do that. With a carb you might need a higher stall if your idle is higher.

So far when I have been out crawling I have not found anything that the TPI & poorman's doubler couldn't crawl at idle or just above it. I haven't needed anything above 800-1000 RPM to crawl anything yet.

I am just a beginning crawler so I don't have much experience but I am liking my FI & low gear & low stall sofar.

Harley

6. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Does the "flash" stall speed ( which is where you can creep forward at idle if you let go of brakes even if not at stall speed) <font color="red"> MATTER AT ALL </font> ?I idle at 550-600 rpm with carb and it moves if I let go of brake, I have no idea what stall I have. This post intriques me /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

7. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

no, when your TC locks up it goes to a direct drive like a clutch. No slipage in the TC. When you reach the stall speed the converter locks up. So the lower the stall speed the lower the TC locks up like a manual trans.

8. FWP

FWP CRS

I'm with Marv on this one. If you have EFI, and a low (1200) TC, you can bearly stop the damn thing in low-low. I've driven Rob's rig /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif Stock (1800) works for me.

9. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

I'll also say stock for what it's worth. My converter came with the trans and is at or near stock as far as I can tell. Still, I find myself having to knock it into neutral at times, especially when climbing and it gets tippy backwards.

10. keith

keith 1/2 ton status

High Torque Towing Torque Converters

Our gas-efficient High Torque Towing Converter is designed to reduce the slippage found in all non lock-up torque converters. This series of torque converters enables transmissions to run cooler and reduces engine RPM at highway speeds. In addition to the resulting fuel mileage increases, the High Torque Towing Converter also lowers transmission temperature by as much as 20 °F. This is an excellent choice for motor homes, tow vehicles and other heavy load applications.

Truck Master Saturday Night Special® Torque Converters

These torque converters have much the same performance characteristics as our standard Saturday Night series for cars, but we build them with extra reinforcement and thicker mounting surfaces to withstand the additional load and vibration put through the drivetrain by a modified off-road 4x4 truck. By providing additional stall, your truck will see better initial takeoff and will not lug the engine when using big tires. Special attention is made to match the converter to the power range of most trucks that do double duty as an off-road and daily driver. Improved rear wheel horsepower and elapsed times are a result.

Tractor Pull/Monster Truck Torque Converters

These converters are regarded as the strongest torque converter ever built, and are used by the nation’s leading monster trucks. Our design features a six-lug mounting where applications permit, and all feature a bullet-proof stator assembly supported by the largest roller bearings available. Anti-ballooning plates are welded to both sides of the converter for safety and durability. A unique argon welding process provides added strength

11. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

I am running an 1100 stall with no doubler. It works fine for me. I can always turn the tires just a little above idle. I don't have much of a passing gear above 40MPH though. I would agree with fred on the stock works well with a doubler.