Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Best tow rig for 11,000. ???

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by CK5, Aug 28, 2002.

1. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

OK, when I buy my USED tow rig I will have 11,000. cash, I need 4wd and at least an extended cab. My rig that I will be towing weighs about 6,000 pounds and I have to go over the mountains almost every time I pull (colorado). Any sugestions on tow rigs for this price, Chevy, GMC, Ford, Dodge, big block, diesel, dually, single-wheel, etc., even open to a 3/4 ton Suburban.

2. Butch

Butch 1/2 ton status

Buy a 91 crew cab single wheel big block auto and we will cut the frame to fit a short bed. You could do all that and paint it with less than 11000 and as a bonus have a spare front 60. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

3. 88K5Jimmy

88K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Well I don't know about the 4WD part that you want but maybe you could find a used wrecker with the kind of bed that tilts down and has the winch setup on it. Or you can do what Steve Sharpe does here in Oklahoma. He has a 3/4 ton 4WD ex-border partol suburban that pulls a trailer he just drives on top of. His tow rig is a 72 K5 with Rockwells and 44's so its a lot of weight just don't know how much for sure. I'm sure you could get a loaded 3/4 ton 4WD suburban and a nice trailer with money left over to upgrade/customize whatever you wanted on your tow rig/trailer. Food for thought.

4. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

As unpopular as this is gonna be, for 11k Id say look for a mid to late 90s F350 w/ the Powerstroke. Make sure its not the early diesel, the 'stroke is much better.

As a 2nd choice I would look at Dodges w/ the Cummins.

Rounding in at 3rd would be a BBC GM truck. Unless you go early GM then thats 1st place.

5. Rob 85K5

Rob 85K5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

If you can go with payments on a new one.
    With that as a down payment on a new 2500HD GMC with the 0% financing, your payments will not be too large.
    You will more than likely be on top of the loan(compared to trade in value) in the third year if not sooner. Maybe even a suburban?

6. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> I've looked into this also, I don't want to spend a fortune for a late model, don;t really want a Ford, and all of the 16v Cummins Dodges I've seen have a crazy amonut of miles on it. I've pretty much decided on trying to find a 89-91 V3500 Crew Cab 4x4 dually with a 454 that has been taken care of. I'm sure that it will take a bit of hunting, but I know that it will be a solid truck for many years. Blue Book on a 91 is only about $8000, for $10k you should be able to get a pristine example. </font color>

7. BIGJ

BIGJ 1/2 ton status Author

Yep, another vote here for the early powerstrokes, or a mid 90's Dodge. Heard lots of people say get the manual with the diesel. I wouldn't go with a gasser unless you like to get 10mpg or less when towing. A single wheel will probably be fine, add a camper though, and I'd go with a dual wheel.

I have towed mine with a 2000 Ford F350 PSD single wheel with no problems. Don't forget to add at least 1200lbs for the trailer unless you plan on flat towing.

BIGJ

8. CK5

I forgot to mention also that this will be my daily driver as well so would like something normal, no old dump trucks or anything. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif
    I thought about an older K30 but would like overdrive (4L80) and a little newer body style. I would sell my current Honda for the 11,000. so I can't really have an old ugly truck sitting outside, the wife would kill me for sure.

9. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

I just bought a '92 GMC xtra cab long bed dually 4x4 for $5700. It came with the 454 and the 5 speed. I think for $11,000 you should be able to find something just fine. I drive mine around quite a bit. I was worried at first that it would be big enough to give me problems parking and stuff but its been fine.

10. DBLAZER

DBLAZER 1/2 ton status

I know i will catch crap for mine, but I LOVE my new (2000) F350 PowerStroke. I wouldnt trade it for a newer chevy if my life depended on it. Go ahaed flame away. I tell ya what though. I sold a 1990 crew cab chevy w a gas 454 and got this. Even with the 454, when the blazer was behind it. It suffered on hills, and well 8 to 10 mpg sucked ass. I hooked up the same crappy ass trailer I had to the new SDuty and wow, I barely knew it was there, 80 MPH and 13 mpg. Sweet.

Also, I know there is no better feeling of security goin out on a 1400 mile road trip and having a tow rig that you know will get you home, baring the unforseen mishap.

Anyways, just my .02

Oh yah, the 17 MPG I get dribving dailey doesn't hurt either especially since I am talking about an F350 Superduty , crew cab , 4x4, longbed duallie. Lifted 4 inches. It is big, long, heavy, and about as arrow dynamic as a brick wall!!!

11. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

I also go with the newer Furds or the early 90's Dodge trucks. /forums/images/icons/smirk.gif

12. Butch

Butch 1/2 ton status

Gear vendors takes care of the overdrive problem.

13. CK5

What was the first year for the Powerstroke?

14. Donovan

Donovan 1/2 ton status

Late 94 was the first year of the powerstroke. Watch for bad injectors on the Powerstrokes.

15. Butch

Butch 1/2 ton status

You buy a powerstroke and it will still take you 7hrs to get to Moab. Please get a truck with some balls if you plan to pull with it.

16. CK5

I want balls!! What rig has the biggest and hairiest?

17. fulltopblazer

fulltopblazer 1/2 ton status

I would definetly go with a dually and probably a disiel and 5 speed unless I could get a new one with the allision.Although the Dodge dealer did just get a load of the new body style 4 door duallys....pretty badass....wait a minute you said 11,000 not 45. I'd go with a 4 door dually disiel my .02

18. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

I bought my wife an '89 Ford Crewcab Dually, 7.3 diesel, auto w/overdrive for $3800 on an auction and it is in top condition. I would suggest staying away from the auto's behind the diesels however. IT is a pain in the A$$ to keep it in the right gear climbing hills (and the torque converter wants to lock up at all the wrong times). The 5 spd and 4x4 is what I wanted too but the truck I went to the auction for didnt make it (94 GMC 3500 crewcab dually w/6.5 turbo) due to a new engine being put in right before the auction and got stuck waiting on parts.

19. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

$11,000 cash is an excellent down payment on a 2002 1 ton duramax dually. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

20. CK5

Yeah, but keep in mind what I do for a living /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif I have no extra money to work with, the only reason I have 11,000. is because I can sell my daily driver that is paid for. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif