Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

best tranny cooler?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Bross82, Feb 26, 2002.

1. Bross82

Bross82 1/2 ton status

hey, i was wondering what would be the best tranny cooler to get... and which gvw i should get it recommended up to. I was wondering what anyone thought about Summit's heavy duty tranny coolers.

thanks,
    matt

1985 k5 blazer, 305 w/ edelbrock carb, dual exhaust, 33'' tires, 4'' superlift springs

2. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

The biggest one that will fit!!!
    Its the heat that kills our trannies, might as well get the largest one you can.

3. mudrunner78

mudrunner78 1/2 ton status

just don't get one so big that it affects your line pressure

78 K-10 383, TH-350, NP-203, Dana 70 front, GM 14bolt Rear, 4.56 gears(underconstruction) 78 k-5 stock and rusty

4. 83ZZ502_Jimmy

83ZZ502_Jimmy 1/2 ton status

The best IMO is the B&M supercooler. It has the most rugged design. I got the one without fittings or hoses. It has a 28,000GVW rating. The stacked plate design is much better than the tube and fin type. IMO.

Here's a link for it:<a target="_blank" href=http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=2845> Tranny Cooler</a>

Also the fittings are 1/2 npt for the cooler. They are easy to find at a Hardware store.

<font color=blue>"When all else fails, read the instructions, or get a bigger hammer"</font color=blue>

5. mnstr_fx

mnstr_fx Registered Member

I agree . Get the B&amp;M super cooler. Back when I had 4.10's and 42's, the tranny would get warm during heavy wheeling, but it never got hot. This is THE cooler in my opinion.

76-82 Chevy Pickup / Blazer - K5-K10-K30
    90' TBI
    TH 400
    203 / 205 Doubler
    Dana 60, Corp 14 - 4.88'd - Detroit Locked

6. chvyhs

chvyhs 1/2 ton status

What about using an old ac condenser? I've heard you can flush them and use them. Is it too much of an over kill?

<a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/chvyhs>WebShot Pics</a>
    It's a wheelbase thing, you wouldn't understand.

7. Bross82

Bross82 1/2 ton status

8. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

9. SAVAGE1

SAVAGE1 1/2 ton status

AC condenser as a tranny cooler? Anybody know if this will work? I'm planning on pulling my AC and condenser out anyway and this would save me some bucks. BTT anyone try this?

Rod
    Alameda, CA
    85 K5 6"ProComp 35"Boggers 14Bolt/ Dana44 4.10's
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/K5Jungle>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/K5Jungle</a>

10. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

Savage,

I posted something reguarding the use of the AC condenser as a tranny cooler about 4 months ago...the biggest people problem people saw with it was that is could OVER cool the tranny! But not allowing the tranny to reach its operating could mean that any residual water in the fluid would not evaporate, therefore wrecking havoc on your internal tranny components....Somebody even threw around the idea of using the AC condenser and an OIL THERMOSTAT that would "feather" open and closed to keep the tranny at an optimal temp....That is the only info I have received though...but I am curious if somebody has made it work well also...

Chris

Was that a speed bump? No, just a Rice Rocket </font color=red> <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/fortcollinsram>My 87 Blazer</a>

11. 83ZZ502_Jimmy

83ZZ502_Jimmy 1/2 ton status

IMO the stacked plate is built better. It has a much heavier duty design. I like them.

John

<font color=blue>"When all else fails, read the instructions, or get a bigger hammer"</font color=blue>

12. Blazer79

Blazer79 1/2 ton status

I went with B&amp;M that's one step smaller than the supercooler mostly because of the ease of intallation, since it includes everything you need. Besides it was about $50 at PAW.

<font color=purple>//////
    <a target="_blank" href=http://blazer79.freeyellow.com>blazer79.freeyellow.com</a></font color=purple><font color=black>
    Soon a 454 K5!!</font color=black>
    [​IMG]

13. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

The stacked plate is better because:
    More exposed surface area to transfer the heat
    less pressure drop
    stronger/more durable
    cools less when it is cold outside to help your trany up to opperating temp faster.

Have you tried blowing through a ac condenser?...try it sometime. There is so much restance to flow it is hard to blow through!

'71 Blazer CST w/ a 400sbc, 4" lift, 36" Supper Swampers, and alot of rust
    <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/triaged>See it Here </a>

14. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

Triaged brings up an important point- the stacked plate design only cools the ATF when it needs it. If the fluid is too thick, it is forced through the bypass and NOT through the cooler plates. Tube/fin cooolers don't have that "safety" built into them, so they'll cool the fluid even if it's not needed. OVERcooling a tranny can be harmful as well.

That's why I run a stacked plate. In the winter(and we get cold winters up here), I'll bet there's days when the fluid doesn't get warm enough to start flowing through the cooling plates. I feel good knowing that I have an ATF cooler "smart" enough to know the difference......

<font color=red>DIGGING AND DIGGING AND DIGGING</font color=red>