Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Best tranny/t-case combo for an auto to manual swap?

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Dieselmh, Jun 21, 2002.

1. Dieselmh

Dieselmh 1/2 ton status

Well, the title says it all. Since I'm going to do my D60/14 bolt FF, 8 inch lift, and engine rebuild all at once, I also decided to swap to a standard. This is all going in my '70 K5 which now has a SB 400 backed by the stock 350/205 combo. I'd really like to go with an overdrive tranny, but it's not totally necessary. Any suggestions on what tranny/t-case to use? I'm not real picky about linkage vs hydro activated, either will do. Also, where can I find the pedals, linkages, etc? Should I look for one specific truck and take all the parts? I'd like the strongest tranny/t-case I can find, short of paying a small fortune for them. I'll take all the ideas you can throw out there. I'd like to consider all my options before I start buying parts. Thanks.

2. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

I would have to say the 205 Tcase is the best.
    For manual the Rock solid SM465 and/or the NV4500(with 5th)
    Duno about the NV4500 but the SM465 can be found widly in 70s Chevy/Gm trucks & blazers. As for the harware I would think finding a donor truck would be the best and most complete way to doit. Plus you would have a sorta 'road map' as to were the parts go.....
    Good Luck

3. JoshA

JoshA 1/2 ton status

if you are going to do this much work I would go with something better than the sm465 myself. I have one in my blazer and I really don't like it that much. the linkage type clutch has very poor clutch feel and I don't like the gearing either. the best thing about the 465 is the super low first gear, but you can get almost the same first gear (6.55vs6.34) if you get a 4500 from '92-'94. first gear is great for wheeling, but pretty much usless otherwise because it is not syncroed. you always start out in 2nd while on the road. also, its a long way between 2nd and 3rd. it feels like you have to rap it out a little in 2nd to keep from lugging the engine in 3rd. it also doesn't shift easily. I'm not sure how to describe this, but I've driven semi's that go into gear easier.

IMHO the 465 is strong, has a low first gear, and is a simple bolt in swap, but has lowsy shifting, bad clutch feel and is basically a 3 speed. if you are building a straight wheeler then it would be fine, but it you plan on spending any time on the road I would stay away from it and get something with overdrive.

4. Steve_Chin

Steve_Chin 1/2 ton status

First gear in all NV4500s is synchronized. The reverse gear in all pre-'00 GM NV4500s is not synchronized. All '00 and newer 4500s (GM or MoPile) have a synchronized reverse gear.

I'm biased, but I like the NV4500/NP205 setup. I am running a '98 NV4500 converted with a synchronized reverse gear with a 205.

5. Dieselmh

Dieselmh 1/2 ton status

How hard is it to convert to a synchro'ed reverse gear? I'm having a hard time finding the tranny at any local junkyards, is there a better way to find one than just calling around? Will I be able to use my stock 205 that is behind my TH350, or will I have to get one built for a standard? Thanks for all the help guys.

6. Steve_Chin

Steve_Chin 1/2 ton status

You can use the 27 spline NP205. You just need the right coupling to mate the 32 spline output of the tranny to the 27 spline input on the transfer case. Advance Adapters makes the mating kit.

If you can find one, use a Dodge 4x4 tailstock and modify it. The one that Advance Adapters makes is kind of wierd for a Gen1 install (it'll work, but it's wierd to adapt.). The Dodge tailstock also makes the package just slightly shorter than the Advance Adapters tailstock.

There are a bunch of places selling the kits and trannies. A friend of mine got his tranny (new 2001 2WD GM with Dodge tailstock and GM 4x4 output) from a place called Discount Parts Wholesalers.