Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Best truck CRIPPLING DEVICE(S)?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by KRAZIE87K5, Apr 24, 2002.

1. KRAZIE87K5

KRAZIE87K5 1/2 ton status

Here is what I am looking for... the BEST device or method to DISABLE my truck to prevent theft. Not an alarm, just THE BEST way to make the truck useless to anyone who thinks they might want to borrow it.

I'm sure folks out here have some good ideas, so lets hear 'em! /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

Thoughts so far...
    1. small switch to kill power to the coil.
    2. elec fuel pump cutoff (used to have electric pump, but I went back to manual, so this won't work anymore)
    3. ??? That's all I guess....

All ideas welcome. Thanks! /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

-Dan

2. marv_springer

marv_springer 1/2 ton status

I used to run a chain and padlock thru the spokes of the wheel and around the frame on my old Jeep when I used to drive it.

Marv

3. SkulzNBonz

SkulzNBonz 1/2 ton status

A shut off valve on the fuel line.

4. BIGJ

BIGJ 1/2 ton status Author

I run a starter kill switch, a fuel pump switch, and an ignition switch (I'm not paraniod, honest /forums/images/icons/wink.gif ). If I'm gonna be gone for a long time, I just pull the battery and a tire or two.

You could make a manual shutoff for the fuel line but it would be some work. An ignition switch would be better than nothing. But, if the motor can't get fuel, the can crank on it ALL DAY LONG, and it won't go anywhere.

BIGJ

5. fr8train

fr8train 1/2 ton status

Battery disc.
    fuel cutoff valve
    quick disconnect steering wheel, shifters, and pedals.
    leave a fake dog poop in the driver seat

6. KRAZIE87K5

KRAZIE87K5 1/2 ton status

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

leave a fake dog poop in the driver seat

<hr></blockquote>

You might have something there... but would that piece of sh!t stealing my truck be bothered by another piece of sh!t beating him to it? /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

-Dan

7. 86K5TrailBlazer

86K5TrailBlazer 1/2 ton status

there are also tire deflators out there. Baically its a look on your valve stem if you dont unlock it or remove it ( i forget which one) the valve will open and lose all the air in a matter of seconds. You can picture someone going down the street with two or more flats with huge tires. Id put one on opposite corners FL RR ro whatever . Since i let the blazer sit most of the week its what i ALSO plan on doing..

cehck these linkgs

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.nicb.org/pdf/anti_theft_devices.pdf>http://www.nicb.org/pdf/anti_theft_devices.pdf</a> and http://www.tiredeflatorusa.com/

8. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

Steering wheel disconnect (Works with Grant wheels)
    Battery kill switch

9. SCOOBYDANNN

SCOOBYDANNN 1/2 ton status

friend has a switch (plain view, but w/ many other switches)going to the MSD and another switch (very hidden) going to that switch. so the 2 switches have to both be on in order to start. the only bad thing is the first couple days you will be flippin switches all day/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

10. 87GMCJimmy

87GMCJimmy 1/2 ton status

Disable the electrical system at multiple points. If a theif happesn to figure one out and bypasses it there's a backup. Most thiefs will just smash the column and use a screwdriver to turn the ignition. This is very easy to do on our trucks. If it doesn't start they grab what the can and leave. Places to disable are starter, coil power and fuel if you had it.

Mike

11. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I have a switch on my power wire to the distributor, will be installing one on the MSD lines, and most likely one on the starter. Possibly a series of toggle switches connected to the coil, that way they have to be in a certain pattern, up &amp; down to get the truck to start. Also a nice bumper sticker that says this truck is protected by 12 gauge.

12. Boss

Boss 1/2 ton status Author

TSM (disk brake people) has a brake lock, that when you lock it and someone steps on the brakes, it'll lock the fluid in place and they won't be able to move. It'll hold that fluid until you unlock it...kinda pricey though for $149 just for the lock, you'll also need brake hoses/lines to plumb into your truck...just another option.
    Boss

13. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

i just got my grant removable steering wheel kit (thanks ebay). IMO, its a good element to add to an over-all security system which includes alarms, kill switches, fuel pump switches, etc.

btw, someone mentioned smashing the column to start a rig up... don't they make hardened steel collars that you can get? That might be a good idea. I totally dig the idea of chaining a wheel to the frame. I live on campus at school, and sometimes I dont move my rig (at my parents pad) for a month or more... so that kinda thing wouldn't really be a nuisance... not like I'd be putting it on and taking it off 4 times a day or anything.

on question I did have though... anyone have any ideas for how you could prevent your rig from being towed? Seems like even if you used the chain/rim/frame move... they could still lift that end of the rig and tow it. Hmmmm...

J

14. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Chain a front and rear wheel, and or a brake lock like mentioned above.

15. Rebel88

Rebel88 1/2 ton status

as far as disabling it from being started some of my buddies around here pull there fuses to their ecms or their fuel pumps(cant remember which one, maybe it was both) that pretty much makes the truck unstartable...

Later

16. RobbieOH

RobbieOH Registered Member

Buy my blazer. Guaranteed not to work. EVER.

17. Qubit

Qubit Registered Member

A radio controlled bomb. JK.

If the theif has a tow truck, aint nothin' gonna stop him...maybe the onstar vehicle tracking system...

18. POWERMAD

POWERMAD 1/2 ton status

On mine the ignition switch has been disabled, all the key switch does is supply power.
    I have a starter button mounted down low on the dash.
    But I don't realy have to worry about my rig being stolen.

19. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

How about a removeable xfer case lever? Move it to Neutral, then disconnect the shifter. You could also find a way to "lock" the shifter in the neutral position so that you wouldn't have to walk around carrying the shift lever.

Keep thinking about all the "critical" parts of the truck that MUST be there for it to work. Then it's just a matter of deciding which ones are most convenient to remove or disable to keep your ride safe.

Hope that gives you some new idears!! [smile[

20. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

They will still drag a truck up if all the wheels are locked. Best way to keep it from being towed is to put it on blocks, or hook the winch to another car in front of you /forums/images/icons/smile.gif