Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Best Tube Bender???

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by k10clown, Dec 2, 2004.

1. k10clown

k10clown Registered Member

I want to make a rear tube bed for my 79' chevy. What is the best bang for your buck when it comes to tube benders? I want to go 1 3/4 or 2 inch. I am looking for a manual bender. I have looked at some but for $299 for the bender then $300 for the die, it sounds expensive to me. Any info will help me out. Thanks.

2. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

i got a protools mb105 from www.mikegreen4x4.com for $240 for the standard bender, i think $250 for a 1.5" 240 degree die, $118 for a degree ring.

with shipping i paid $634.93

3. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

I use an M-Tech, it is basically the same as the pro tools style. $600 is about right for a bender with a die. I would also go with 1.75" tube, that small difference is bigger than you think when you are doing a lot of cutting/bending.

4. fordcummins1

fordcummins1 1/2 ton status

I've got a JD2, been real happy with the quality of the construction of the unit. Got a 1.75" and 1" die, gettin a 2" soon. Havent bent much with it yet, but what I have done seems to come out real nice.

5. k10clown

k10clown Registered Member

Found a couple. I think that I am going to go with the protools model and a harbor freight tube notcher. All this for under $700 with a 1.75" die for the bender. Thanks for the input.

6. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

I forgot to mention that some steel shops don't carry 1.75" I have yet to find one in/near Phoenix that doesn't have it but have heard of it being an issue in other cities. Just call and ask.

7. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I forgot to mention that some steel shops don't carry 1.75" I have yet to find one in/near Phoenix that doesn't have it but have heard of it being an issue in other cities. Just call and ask.

[/ QUOTE ]

i found that out a few weeks ago, im still kinda pissed about it. oh well i guess ill have to buy a truck load when i i start bending 1.75" lol