Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Best valve cover gasket?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mofugly13, Apr 9, 2005.

1. mofugly13

mofugly13 1 ton bucket of rust Premium Member

I was wondering if anyone can tell me what the best valve cover gasket would be. One that you can take the covers off and put them back on a few times and not worry about oil seepage. I have a goodwrench crate 350 and have the stock covers that came with it. I removed them ONCE before I dropped the engine in because they had the GM stickers upside down and the oil filler back under the master cylinder, so I simply swapped them side for side. I've only had the engine in for about 30,000 miles, and it's seeping oil on both sides aty the rear of the block. The gaskets are the cork ones. I would spend more for a reusable, no leak gasket. What to do?

2. mrpoorboy

mrpoorboy Registered Member

i hear ya. mine seep too. i can't stand it. i keep thinking it is the way i put them on. maybe the valve covers themselves. please find a solution for my sanity.

3. Fierospeeder

Fierospeeder Banned

cork ones suck.

felpro has the rubber gaskets with the metal ring to prevent crushing of the gaskets. I would ask your parts counter guy for that gasket. They are a bit pricey.

4. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

cork cheap ones and RTV black

works like a charm every time

no need for naything else and extra $$

screw that

good luck

5. mofugly13

mofugly13 1 ton bucket of rust Premium Member

But then you gotta replace the gasket whenever you pull your valve covers, right? On my 327, the cork gaskets were RTV'd to the heads, nothingg between the covers and the gaskets, they leaked like a sumbitch. I went to those 'spreader' valve cover clamps, and it helped, but still seeped oil.