Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

"Best" valve covers to buy? 350

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bluecollarjock, Dec 22, 2006.

1. bluecollarjock

bluecollarjock 1/2 ton status

Hi,
    I finally got around to having someone check out my engine oil leak/spray...K5 has been sitting in the driveway leaking like a stuck pig for a month now as I search for axles. Much good advice on here, and turns out you guys were right. Both valve covers are leaking out the back end, he didnt take anything apart because it was heavy rain today but said the manifold may be leaking or its just wet due to both valve covers leaking bad. Once we do those, we will see if there are any other leaks. Gotta clean it up good though because it sprayed all over the tranny and undercarriage.

Says the kid who I bought it off of cranked the bolts way too tight for cork gaskets looks like. He ordered some new gaskets (said they were a little more expensive than cork but they are better material), and told me to junk the chrome Moroso valve covers unless I was totally in love with them. Said to get stock ones back on there or maybe some steel/cast iron ones from Edlebrock or whatever Pep Boys might have in stock. So you guys were right on that too, chrome valve covers are not so hot.

So, what valve covers should I get ? Its a crate 350, supposedly low mileage but who the hell knows with this previous owner. Should I just purchase stock ones from an auto parts store or would it be advantageous to buy a certain style or brand? I DO NOT care what they look like, just want something more reliable.

Any advice appreciated!

Merry Christmas

2. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

anything cast aluminum

3. trailblazr81

trailblazr81 1/2 ton status

Ive used cheap auto parts store valve covers, Edelbrock chromies, cast alminum, and stock. Ive gotten them all to seal. Get a quality gasket and a little bit of Permatex and tighten them down right and you'll be fine. Ive run cheap chromies in my truck for the last 6+ years. I got some re-usable rubber over steel frame gaskets that are 3/8 inch thick out of Summit or Jegs. Cost like 30 Bones but they work like a champ.

4. bluecollarjock

10-4 thanks! I guess that is what this guy ordered as far as gaskets...he said they were reusable and much easier to seal than cork gaskets. I was looking online, and getting new valve covers doesnt seem that expensive...Ill stop by the local Pep Boys or advanced and see what they have in stock...worst case scenario Ill just reuse the Moroso chromies...

5. trailblazr81

As long as they havent been warped or mangled from over tightening they should work ok.

6. bluecollarjock

Ill check after Christmas...he might have done something to them...both of them are leaking, and he said he just changed the gaskets out again before selling it...so its back to back leaking....we didnt pull them today but the guy said it looked like he cranked them down way too tight...

Any cheap place to get quality covers online? Just use Summit or Jegs? Any particular brand or model to get? If they are cheap enough, I might as well just buy some now and avoid future headaches..I could care less how the engine compartment looks, just want a reliable ride

7. PeteH

PeteH 1/2 ton status

i have cast alum. on mine and i love em...but normal cheap chromies will do just fine just make sure to seal em right(no over tightening!).

8. trailblazr81

You can get some cheap ones from Summit or Jegs. Chrome or powdercoated. Can even get 'em with gaskets and maybe even grab a matching air cleaner or something. Some even include mounting hardware.

9. bluecollarjock

sweet, Ill probably be doing that next week..now I just need axles!