Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Best Way To Bleed Brakes????

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bigbadchev84, Mar 8, 2005.

1. bigbadchev84

bigbadchev84 1/2 ton status

What Is The Best Way To Bleed Brakes? I Am Having A Hell Of A Time With Mine!!! Anyone Have Any Tricks, Devices, Or Advice In Getting A Good Pedal????

2. JEBSR

JEBSR 1/2 ton status

brake bleeding

a lot of time you get air in the proportioning valve or the master cylinder itself. Not knowing why it has air in it it's hard to guess where the air is. I have had to do one of my trucks with an air assisted vacume bleeder available at some stores like napa. However if you don't do brakes alot it is not very cost effective. you might try having one person open the bleeder while you slowely press the pedal down. while the pedal is down have them close the bleeder and then let off repeating until all air is out. just like pumping exext don't pump the pedal. sometimes works better and is faster.

3. dontoe

dontoe 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I bought a fancy hand pump/vacuum to use, but it holds so little fluid I don't like it. The best way I ever do it is use hose from the bleeder to a bottle with a bit of fluid in it. After you stroke the pegal once and fill the hose, there can't be any air come back in that way. Otherwise just keep an eye on the fluid level in the MC so it doesn't get to low when bleeding. And you can see the bubbles coming through.

4. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

I built my own power bleeder thingy. Cost like $25. Get one of those little 1 gallon pesticide sprayer things from the hardware store. The ones where ya pump the handle to spray with it. Cut the sprayer attachment off the end of the hose. Cut a piece of steel, anything thicker than 1/8" plate will work, thats slightly bigger, and the same shape as the top of your master cylinder. Find a fitting of some kind that you can attach to one end of the plate, about an 1" in from the edge. How ever you attach your fitting needs to be air tight. I used a 1/4" male quick connect steel air compressor fitting- cut a hole in the plate and welded the fitting on there. You need to be able to attach the end of the hose on the sprayer bottle to the end of the that fitting. I just slid the hose over the air compressor fitting and clamped it on with a hose clamp. Now get a sheet of cork gasket material from Napa or where ever, and a bottle of spray adhesive. Cut a piece of that gasket material to match the bottom of the plate and glue it on with the spray adhesive. Clamp the plate over the master cylinder with the fitting above the rear resivor. Has to be clamped firm enough that the gasket material seals to the top of the master cylinder. I found that the quick grip clamps work the best caue of the odd shape of the bottom of the master. Quick Grip Clamps.
    Fill the sprayer bottle with brakefuild and start pumping till it developes some pressure. Go open one or both of the rear bleeder screws. Wait till clean, bubbleless fluid comes out and close the bleeders. Release the pressure in the sprayer bottle. Unclamp the plate and flip it around so the fitting is over the front resivoir and repeat. I can bleed both front and rear brakes by myself in less than 5 minutes this way. :grin:

5. dontoe

dontoe 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Like he said...............Clicky

I was gonna make one, but ain't got around to it yet.

So it really works good?
    [​IMG]

6. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

It works awesome. Less than 5 minutes to bleed brakes with no help speaks for itselft. :D

7. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Vacuum bleeder..

I made a similar bleeder out of an old moyonaise glass jar and two hunks of brake tubing--it uses vacuum borrowed from a running engine to suck the brake fluid out of the bleeder--

Its easy to build---just punch 2 holes in the lid and solder,braze,or J-B weld the 2 peices of tubing into the lid--one peice has to be long enough to stop just short of the bottom,the other only needs to be just long enough to go thru the lid an inch or so---put some brake fluid in the jar,enough to cover the long tube,hook your vacuum hose to the short tube,and run a hose from the other longer tube to the bleeder screw--start the engine,and open the bleeder,it sucks all the air out!--clamp off the hose with vise grips,close bleeder,its bled!repeat on the other 3 wheels,and your done--
    The only drawback so far is I have a hard time keeping the hose on the bleeder screws sometimes--I got some surgical tubing from a hospital that seems to work the best,(but brake fluid makes it gooey!)-- regular 3/16 fuel line or vacuum hose works ok--it would be nice if they made super dinky hose clamps--I need them on lawnmowers and motorcycles a lot too--somplace must have them....:confused:

This thing works great when your alone---and no pedal pumping that can tear the piston seals in the master cylinder when it goes all the way to the floor,where the bore in the master is often rusty...:crazy:

8. JEBSR

JEBSR 1/2 ton status

damn good ideeer

I never thought of using a pesticide sprayer. Hell of a good idea.

9. AkMudr

AkMudr 1/2 ton status

I hate bleedin brakes, but I'm gonna make me one of them!!

10. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

a jar of new clean fluid at each wheel youre bleeding, wide open bleeder, hose into fluid in jar, pump away at pedal.

make sure m/c is new or in real good shape, no rust inside, IE old and such or it wont work anyways most likely, no matter how you bleed,

the whole goal is to let fluid into lines, and air out and not back into lines, hose into jar of fluid is how to do it, and dont hav to fudge with screw a million times during the process

good luck

11. shawndzugas

shawndzugas Registered Member

Man, I thought I was unique with my Frankenstein bleeder. I have the same setup with the bug sprayer except I bought a replacement master cylinder cap and trimmed away the center of the gasket. I bought a nipple from Ace HArdware and put it on the cap. I just switch caps, pump, open bleeders, done. Someone should put these on EBAY.