Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Best way to bring up oil in a motor?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 1 FN HI K5, May 8, 2002.

1. 1 FN HI K5

1 FN HI K5 1/2 ton status

I am ready to bring up the oil in my new motor I put a high volume oil pump in it. I tried to use a screwdriver that i cut the handel off and put it on a drill. This was a bitch i didnt get very far.Yea the motor is in the truck should have done this first. Any other way's? Thanks <font color=red>1 FN HI K5

2. creampuff90k5

creampuff90k5 1/2 ton status

The actual tool designed to do this only costs $10-13...

Or perhaps if you have a really big auto parts store nearby, they might have one available for loaning out.

3. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I Can't exactly remember how we did it...
    But i think we had an old distribuitor lying around and we took the gear, cap, and rotor etc. off and hooked the chuck of the drill to the top of the distribuitor and used that to prime the oil.

I've also done it in the past with a broken screwdriver on a drill... you can get someone to watch the oil pressure gauge, or we had an old oil pressure gauge lying around so we hooked it up right there off the engine so you can see what kind of oil pressure your getting trying to prime it.

ANd i think summit or jeg's has that tool that is made to do that.

4. bigmack

bigmack 1/2 ton status

I always use a primer tool chucked up in a drill. I got tired of fighting the screwdrivers. If all else fails, go ahead and get everything bolted up &amp; just unhook the ignition wire from the distributor cap (assuming you have an HEI) and turn the motor over until the oil pressure comes up. Then you can just hook the wire back up and fire the beast off.

5. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

The nice thing about using the tool is that oil will get to the cam journals. The dist. housing helps direct the oil there and if it is not in the oil just goes back to the pan. The priming tool has a housing that prevents this.

6. 1bad82k5

1bad82k5 1/2 ton status

I just use an old points style distributor that i have laying around. Just drop it in and spin it. I drilled and tapped it, and put a bolt in it. So I just hook up a drill to it, and let'er rip. Works great.
    eric

7. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

To people reading this remember when using and old distributor you have to take the cam gear off the distriubutor. I know the rest of you are saying "duhh" but to someone who doesn't know that. 8&gt;)

8. 1 FN HI K5

1 FN HI K5 1/2 ton status

Thanks i called auto zone and rented the RIGHT tool should have done this in the first place. They charged a $25.00 deposit . <font color=red>1 FN HI K5

9. 1bad82k5

1bad82k5 1/2 ton status

Good call. I forgot all about that. Just drive the roll pin out of the gear, and knock it off. After that, a distributor works as good as any priming tool you can buy.
    eric

10. Mr.Chevy4x4

Mr.Chevy4x4 1/2 ton status

That is the only way to go. Using a screwdriver you will never get oil to the top of the motor. The distributor housing acts as part of the oil passage and without it you are only prelubing the bottom end.

11. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

be warned about the RIGHT tool. I used one from Autozone on my new motor when in your same dilemma. Problem is the RIGHT tool didn't properly seat on the oil pump. It wouldn't fully sit in the groove. What ended up happening is that after 15 minutes of priming, it smoothed the tab in the end of the tool and chewed up the slot on the oil pump. Had pieces of metal all through the new engine and oil. Had to get a new pump and spent a lot of time cleaning the new engine back out again. Thought it must have been something I did, so got another tool and was going to try it again. Before installing the new oil pump, I thought I would test fit the tool to the shaft so I could easily see the fit. Turns out it still wouldn't seat right (different tool, new pump). I ended up taking apart the old distributor and making a tool from it. In addition, after 20 minutes of priming, I still didn't get any oil up to the top of the engine. You should have pressure practically immediately.

12. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

After the thread about 33"s fitting a stock blazer I thought I better bring that part up. Cause you know someone would read to use an old distributorand not realize that with the gear still on there they're trying to turn the whole motor with the distributor.